Miss Renegade

Hello from Texas

New here, as is everyone else posting these topics.  A bit about me and how I came to be here.  Husband runs an off-road club that holds an annual event each fall.  We were discussing having shirts made for the drivers so the people behind could tell who their leader was.  I said it's only really visible if the person driving is out of the vehicle (otherwise you may just see a bright colored sleeve).  I threw out the idea of using a magnet that way it could be reused over the coming years.  We'd need a bunch of them and the price adds up quickly, so we decided yesterday to purchase an MH series 34" cutter to try our hand.  No real graphic experience (know my way around Gimp a bit, so this will be a learning curve), but as this will be text only it shouldn't be too hard (famous last words).  We're both really excited for it to arrive and see what we can do and grow from there in our skills and abilities.  

• Like 1

Welcome fellow off-roader. You are correct in that text should be almost type and cut with most of the cutting software. The MH is a bit temperamental but can turn out passable work at a great intro price if you get it dialed in right. Search for any post by "Mz Skeeter" a famous forum member relating to setting the correct blade depth and follow the instructions. It will head off a broken blade tip and lots of frustration. (she's going to be upset that I called her famous) 

Happy Wheelin'!

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcomes. 

Goose, thanks for letting me know I'll look those posts up. We should get our order later this week so I have time to research and read up. Would have loved to get a big boy machine, but since this was just for the trail boss I figured we can learn from there and if we suck at it, it wouldn't be a HUGE outlay of cash. 

Have fun and stay safe on the trails. 

15 minutes ago, Miss Renegade said:

Thanks for the welcomes. 

Goose, thanks for letting me know I'll look those posts up. We should get our order later this week so I have time to research and read up. Would have loved to get a big boy machine, but since this was just for the trail boss I figured we can learn from there and if we suck at it, it wouldn't be a HUGE outlay of cash. 

Have fun and stay safe on the trails. 

That's exactly what most of us did to start out so you're on a good path. I'll give you fair warning, assuming the techno side is not a problem you will probably get hooked. Tons of fun and money to be made as well as saved. If it clicks with you and you think you are going to stick with it I suggest at least a budget heat press so you can start cutting heat transfer vinyl and build your own tee shirts. 

I assume from your nickname you are Jeep people. I have had several CJ 5's and a massively built YJ. Am currently sporting a 96' Landcruiser. 

22 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

That's exactly what most of us did to start out so you're on a good path. I'll give you fair warning, assuming the techno side is not a problem you will probably get hooked. Tons of fun and money to be made as well as saved. If it clicks with you and you think you are going to stick with it I suggest at least a budget heat press so you can start cutting heat transfer vinyl and build your own tee shirts. 

I assume from your nickname you are Jeep people. I have had several CJ 5's and a massively built YJ. Am currently sporting a 96' Landcruiser. 

Yes, this is a correct assumption; however we have a love for all brands (he says as long as it has an engine and wheels he loves it).  Husband has a 91 YJ he has built.  As well, we currently have 2 CJ2As (actually one complete 46 and one 48 tub) in the backyard, a 2011 grand as the daily, and his truck and trailer.  Of course he mentioned another one to me on Friday that he is contemplating.  (I think he has a problem, he states it is not a problem, though we are running out of space). 

I could easily see how we could get hooked on this as well.  We went to work on a friend's Samurai last night and had a couple of the guys ask for decals, for a machine we don't currently have in our possession.  I told them they need to be patient as we don't have it yet.  They might be just as excited as we are. 

• Like 1

Howdy Miss Renegade!

I have run a full-service sign making shop for years using the MH.

One small piece of advice --- make sure to round the corners of the magnets (I use a quarter or nickel coin and a utility knife to trim the radius).

15 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Howdy Miss Renegade!

I have run a full-service sign making shop for years using the MH.

One small piece of advice --- make sure to round the corners of the magnets (I use a quarter or nickel coin and a utility knife to trim the radius).

Thanks for that information, that's something I probably wouldn't have thought of.  Unfortunately, we've had issues with the 871 we received (we think it's a motherboard, have an e-mail ticket into support now due to work schedules, but will call them today since we have a storm warning and I am staying home today).  

Stay dry down there. Hopefully it blows through without doing too much damage. 

The MH is a good price but very temperamental. If you get hooked I don't think it will take you log to decide to upgrade. This is a great hobby and the first one I've ever had that actually makes money. So much so that my wife and I turned ours into a side business. I started out with a Creation P-Cut. They are no longer offered by USCutter but were about the same as the Laser Point 2 about three steps up from the bottom level MH. It got me by for a couple years and at that time I was 100% sure I wanted to keep a cutter in my life forever so I dropped a few thousand on a top level servo machine. The difference is startling. 

I mustve been sleeping and missed another jeeper joining. my jeep issue is way past an addiction. lol. same as this I started a business of it. and now adding the vinyl to it.  I have the same motto as your husband, wheels and an engine and I'm all in. 

Now learning to make hats and shirts for both businesses 

0030C204-36FD-452D-80FE-A3B57FAE816F.jpeg

F32C65BE-8DEC-48F1-8FC8-1848D6249605.jpeg

• Like 2