I recently purchased a Copam CP 3050.  The USB on the machine doesn't work.  So I used the serial cable and bought a serial to USB adapter to go to my lap top.  I can't find a way to get my laptop to find the cutter.  Can anyone give me any advice? 

You will have to check a few things to start:

1. make sure the USB-serial adaptor shows up in your device manager, and adaptor has the driver installed. (no yellow triangle warnings :rolleyes:

2. check your software, make sure it has the proper port chosen (same as your converter).

• Like 1

Okay, 

i bought and insignia adapter.  

I am going to sound like a rookie but how to a check that the adapter and port a compatible.  I didn't realize that they have to be compatible. I assumed that a USB is a usb.  I there is a warning triangle on my device manager by the USB plugged in.  I tried to update the driver software and "windows can't find" driver software. 

The only USB to serial adapter guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter is a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter  That is the brand name..  Most of the inexpensive ones, have a cheap Chinese chipset in them

Example,  find the best price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-PC-Mac-USA-19HS-1-Pack-/222076446870?hash=item33b4c9a896:g:hp8AAOSwiiRZgphX

• Like 1

well, the Tripp-Lite above is the best adapter. But you can give your insignia another try- Either the driver came on a CD in the box, or you can go to the manufactures website and download it. 

Are you using "THE" serial cable that came with the machine? reason I ask there are two types - Null and straight. Most likely it needs the NULL cable.