Guest Jamie

Cutting smoothly

Guest Jamie

Hello,

I'm trying to make a "B" logo for a school fundraiser. However, I've only had my plotter and vinylmaster software maybe a month. So I'm really new. Everything cuts flawless except when I go to cut this. (See pic below) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! 

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

Did you import the image and vectorize it? You saying everything else cut good except that, I would say it's the cut file. Zoom it on your "B" and see if it has smooth lines. What cutter do you have?

Guest Jamie

I didn't bring the image in and vectorize it. It's just the font I purchased. I have a HM-871 us cutter brand. I've literally tried everything. Is there anything else you know of that could help? Thank you!

did you get the font as a ttf and install it in your computer and then insert the B from your vinylmaster?  or did they send you a eps etc that could be a bad file?   like crome said it sure looks like a bad vectorizing with a lot of nodes that needs cleaned up from a trace . . . 

Guest Jamie

It is a TTF font. Sorry I'm not much help I'm really new to all of this. I appreciate the comments! 

Have you looked at the font zoomed way in or in wire frame mode? Some fonts are not smooth. We are just starting from square one and making sure you don't have a bad file. The reason for this emphasis is you say it cuts flawless otherwise. Most likely the font if everything else cuts good.

Guest Jamie

I zoomed in on the font (no changes made) I've attached a picture. It shows normal like it will cut fine but then cuts jagged or roughly. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

What speeds and pressures are you running at? How much blade exposure do you have? If you can see the blade easily, you have too much. There are dozens of post on here about how to set the correct blade depth.

Guest Jamie

Darcshadow, I don't think the blade is an issue since it is cutting other images, fonts, and things without any issue. 

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Have you looked at the font zoomed way in or in wire frame mode? Some fonts are not smooth. We are just starting from square one and making sure you don't have a bad file. The reason for this emphasis is you say it cuts flawless otherwise. Most likely the font if everything else cuts good.

We really need to see the image in wire frame mode, to see the actual nodes. this will rule out your file. Your image above is filled mode. 

We think its the file because you state everything else cuts fine.  

Guest Jamie

This one is in wireframe mode. Hopefully it can show you what you need to see. 

IMG_3671.JPG

also close up pictures of some of those other things that cut perfect would help - everyone is trying to diagnose your issue using years of experience looking at post like this one

Guest Jamie

Dakotagrafx, Thanks! I will post a few pictures. Should I post some of the other images and things on the program or the ones I've actually cut?

Is it still cutting other images fine?  This was just a one off design that doesn't cut right?  How about the rolls of vinyl this was cut from, have you cut other stuff from those same rolls without issues?

Cal

Guest Jamie

Cal, 

yes other images cut fine while this one doesn't. I have cut other stuff from the same rolls no issue on other stuff. Not sure what is going on. 

I find it curious that the two inner parts of the B are cut with the same messy spots in pretty much exactly the same location. If you look close each one has the same warble in the same spots which to me looks like a software glitch. Driver issue maybe? I guess it could be a loose carriage or blade holder reacting the same on each cut. Hard to tell what's going on. 

Jamie have you cut anything else successfully since the B? 

Start with the basics.  How did you set your blade depth,?  This is the correct way to set your blade depth,  It is very important, to start here..No matter what the other designs cut like..

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Like 1

A couple of my ideas

Upload they file so some of us can take an in depth look at is.  

Rotate the B 90* and cut it.   See if the waves move from the horizontal lines to the vertical lines.   

If they do move and the horizontal lines are straight now the problem is with your file.   If they don't move and it's still wavy on all the horizontal lines then I'd be looking into a hardware problem.  

• Like 1

Also make 100% certain you are cutting the correct file and not the old one over and over. As it looks like a trace of low quality artwork that is being cut out.  

Also, try cutting a square shape and see how that comes out. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.