When doing business with customers, And you give them a quote on a job and they accept (150+ decals) Do you require payment upfront or after the job is done? im looking into a better way of doing business and i dont want to have any decals that are left behind and not paid for. Although some past customers are repeat and understand but there is always a few that think they should be exempt . im just trying to tie up loose ends and make it so everyone wins and everyone picks up their stuff.

i require a non refundable deposit at-least half  ( and i  let them know that ) so that would cover at-least the material cost and some time,that way if they bail out you got something for it ,or just ask for full payment upfront if they are fully happy with the final design sample. Most of mine pay full up front anyway.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

i require a non refundable deposit at-least half  ( and i  let them know that ) so that would cover at-least the material cost and some time,that way if they bail out you got something for it ,or just ask for full payment upfront if they are fully happy with the final design sample. Most of mine pay full up front anyway.

That's what i was thinking, but they are like we been doing business for a while now and we are family . but im not sure of any other shop that will print out 200 decals without some form of payment. Even thou it has been done in the past with them, i think i have to change someways of business to ensure that future customers pick their stuff up even if its a $5 decal  (they add up at the end of the year) .ive got to have something to cover my cost but i dont want to lose customers at the same time.

• Like 1

I only give special paying privileges  to those who have been loyal  for awhile, But that doesnt mean that maybe at some point down the road they might screw you as well,which actually happened 1 time to me lol.I got screwed on $100..... Even tho i made a decent amount from him prior to this , because how i have my contracts written up and since  i created the design for his huge 4x4 group he has been running for years  ,He was not aloud to go have those made anywhere else ,He cant even use part of the image .Everything that was in the image to minor details was noted unless he paid me for the rights ,,,,Well guess what ,they no longer  and  Either way , If someone had a problem with a deposit then they can go pay more somewhere else.

When i first started up i needed 2 special printed decals for a business and i became good friends with a sign shop and i was required to pay up front ,but after doing business with them and buying material for a short period , he only had me pay afterwards.

I would just explain the deal you give compared to the big shark down the road ,No design fee ( your preference on that ) and you will get them done quicker possibly .I have never had anyone question me on it ,And like i said if they can go pay more down the road ,I dont care .

• Like 1

It;s all about salesmanship, and salesmanship is about attitude and choosing the right words.

Think of something like this and with this kind of attitude.

Being a good customer and like family, I'm sure you can understand what a burden it is on me to have to put up money upfront and have to wait for the end product to be picked up.  A deposit helps me out immensely.

If they are "good" customers, and "like family"  what "good" "family" member wants to add to your burden?  The "good customers" have every intent of paying you and picking up their stuff, so whats the difference between paying now, or later?

• Like 1

I think if you word that the deposit pays for materials up front, most people are ok with that.  I know when I am asked to pay half up front for something, it never phases me, but then again, I am a small business owner and understand how it works.

I always get a deposit up front on any job I have to buy material on on both the handyman business and the sign business. The last pedestal sign I ordered was right at $5000.00 up front

I deal with the public and a lot of factory's around us.  With the factory's I don't get a upfront deposit with them due to them being on a pay cycle. Never had a problem with them. But with public or a family member etc. I get a up front deposit.

With Family I figure there is always a chance I'm going to be doing it for free. Ha ha! I have a select group of clients and if I know them and have history I float it and get it all upon delivery. I would not recommend this to be the best approach but I live in Idaho and things are a lot more old school out here. As in we still often do business on a handshake.... and we shoot people, so there's that. 

• Like 3