Sign in to follow this  
bhop985

How do you make faded fonts?

it can be done in flexi pro but most often done in AI pr photoshop

In the older days we did it with vinyl and kyrlon fusion paint for plastic :)

It is small numbers maybe max 12 inches what type of machine will print this? Looking for something under $500 if there is something capable.

That effect just seems to be a gradient.

Print to go on what?  If you mean on something for outdoors and is contour cut then you probably want an eco-solvent printer and a cutter, or a print/cut combo.  Five hundred bucks won't get you there, Multiply by 18.  A small eco-solvent print/cut combo: https://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/versastudio-bn-20-t-shirt-printing-press

• Like 2

bhop, I think practically every one of us had that same thought when new. It is a real wake up call to find out what it takes to print on vinyl. I quickly came to the conclusion that it was much more cost effective to outsource the print work rather than try to buy and pay for an expensive print set up that then requires a lot of regular maintenance and upkeep not to mention regular printing just to keep the thing from getting clogged up. I learned through the research a little more about my competition in my local area because they print EVERYTHING, even simple stuff that was probably easier to just cut. Fact is they NEEDED to keep their machine printing. I slipped into the little niche that filled the gap on the things that were solid fill colors and could just be cut vinyl. 

I have since slid over into apparel and only do vehicle and sign work occasionally so I am extra glad I avoided getting into that game. Some day I may still attempt to delve in there but you need to have thought it al through from start to finish and that is nearly impossible when you are new and just trying to get a grasp on the whole market. 

There are several printers on the forum that are good guys to use as both a resource for info as well as a possible outsource. I have had Dakota print several jobs for me with good results and know of a few more that are similarly equipped. 

22 hours ago, bhop985 said:

It is small numbers maybe max 12 inches what type of machine will print this? Looking for something under $500 if there is something capable.

Well some people have used regular inkjet printers to print on Papilio media, colors will fade though outdoors, however you can spray it with a UV laminate spray that might get you a year or two depending on how much sun exposure...

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/Waterproof-Glossy-White-Film/

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/Aerosol-LLA5000-UV-Laminate-Spray-12fl.-oz.html

• Like 1