steved13

cutting with an outline or shadow

I want to cut letters and numbers so that they have a black outline behind the yellow letters and numbers.  I realize I will need to cut the black and then the yellow separately and then lay the yellow on top of the black.  I saw the "shadow layer" button and the screen looks like what I want (although it shows gray and I want black)  But I havent tried to cut it yet, and I don't know if it will cut the "shadow" and then stop to reload for the top layer, or if I am in the wrong area altogether?

Here is a pic of ones that a sign shop did previously to see what I am looking for

thumbnail_20170805_123342.jpg

Thanks, I see it now...it looks like it separates the shadow and the letters, and then I select separate jobs so I can load the proper color.

• Like 1

Make sure you use registration marks to line the decals up after cutting your different colors  Your welcome. 

@steved13 did you get this figured out? If you ever need help let me know .We can setup a live view time and i can help out. It lets you see my screen from yours....send me a Pm if you want.

And i dont use reg marks ever, never have due to my table i built lets me skip those.

Are you running scalps3pro or 4 pro?

17 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

@steved13 did you get this figured out? If you ever need help let me know .We can setup a live view time and i can help out. It lets you see my screen from yours....send me a Pm if you want.

And i dont use reg marks ever, never have due to my table i built lets me skip those.

Are you running scalps3pro or 4 pro?

19 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Make sure you use registration marks to line the decals up after cutting your different colors  Your welcome. 

Thanks, I figured it out, although I haven't cut them yet.  I'm using SCAL3pro, and updated to the current version (kept crashing before I found the update)

The only info I've found about registration marks has to do with contour cutting, and this is just 2 normal vinyl cuts, so I'm not sure how I would even use the reg marks?  My plan is to just cut each color and line them up by eye, it looks like the software gets the size correct for the text and the shadow for me?  Reminder I'm brand new so I know there must be tons I don't know.

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

You can make your own registration marks..  Make a couple X's outside your design.  or squares.    You have to be able to line those 2 decals back up after you cut them.   Your going to lay the registration marks on top each other when you layer your decal. Each color will have registration marks.  Go to youtube,  many videos on layering vinyl 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You can make your own registration marks..  Make a couple X's outside your design.  or squares.    You have to be able to line those 2 decals back up after you cut them.   Your going to lay the registration marks on top each other when you layer your decal. Each color will have registration marks.  Go to youtube,  many videos on layering vinyl 

Thanks I will do.  I tried registration marks, but wasn't much help for this....tough when you are so new you don't even know what to search for IE "layering vinyl" :)  But actually I get it from what you just said...If I put a few spaces and a small x on each end in the text...I only need to line up those x's and the rest is done.  I see where that should be easier.  Although I'm using 3" letters so I think will be pretty easy either way, but I want to try it with the reg marks, just for future reference if I do something smaller.

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

"Layering vinyl"  is too broad of a subject.. It is a decal.  Layering vinyl decals,     

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=layering+vinyl+decals

Post what your trying to do.   

The original post has a pic of what I am trying to do?  Not sure what else to post?  I'm not sure if it qualifies as a multilayer decal, it's text with a shadow, so I will print the shadow in black and then the text in yellow and lay the yellow on the black

Sorry,  thought just an example similar misread. .  You can use registration marks on that.  This example registration marks are at the top of design.

Pretty much same thing.

You need to make one of these and you wont need reg marks ever..It was easy to make ,I had no plans ,just thought of what i wanted and made it...  It allows me to see thru all the materials and align them .This table is 33" wide by 7 feet long.  remote control lighting ,i can turn on any light i want depending on the size of material im using.

post-88251-0-28965800-1453137538.thumb.jpg.a3fed816f06a91abefe78382a325ab6e.jpgMY TABLE 1-18-2016 - YouTube.URL

oh yeah I have one of those...doesn't everybody?

LOL, very nice setup.  That will be in my mind if and when I get more serious.  For now this is just for some small stuff for my personal and business use.  The pic is for boat registration numbers.  My boats are all yellow, but yellow on the white surface doesn't contrast enough by law, so the black shadowing makes them pop and easily seen...and I like the looks.  I have 6 boats to do, and then some signs around here that wear out in the Florida sun...and some other stuff, like I labeled my tool box.

I am thinking about supplementing my income and doing small sign as a separate business in the same location...but I would need to figure out a way to gain some space.

8 minutes ago, steved13 said:

oh yeah I have one of those...doesn't everybody?

LOL, very nice setup.  That will be in my mind if and when I get more serious.  For now this is just for some small stuff for my personal and business use.  The pic is for boat registration numbers.  My boats are all yellow, but yellow on the white surface doesn't contrast enough by law, so the black shadowing makes them pop and easily seen...and I like the looks.  I have 6 boats to do, and then some signs around here that wear out in the Florida sun...and some other stuff, like I labeled my tool box.

I am thinking about supplementing my income and doing small sign as a separate business in the same location...but I would need to figure out a way to gain some space.

I said the same thing when i first started lol. It will be just for small stuff etc ,,Well that lasted for about a week after i mentioned what i was doing lol... the next thing you know i landed a couple several hundred dollar jobs and then everything i had bought was paid off in a matter of weeks ,The first year doing small side work i had cleared 10K take home .Now i own a hotronix fusion 16x20 and just bought a Epson WF7610 thanks to wildgoose and others info that was given to me ..So be prepared to be growing quick once you put the word out lol... do you have a spreadsheet for breaking down vinyl cost? ill post it here . It also has Siser htv in the list..Any questions just send me a pm.

1 use this !!! Vinyl Calculator Pippin Decals.xlsx

41 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Sorry,  thought just an example .  You can use registration marks on that.  This example registration marks are at the top of design.

Pretty much same thing.

Thanks for the video...I appreciate all your help.