steved13

blade extended to the max to cut

I am brand new to vinyl cutting.  I ordered and just received a 25" SC cutter and I'm using oracle 751 vinyl.  The only way to get the machine to cut, is to extend the blade as far out as it will go.

The carriage is definitely in the track and the blade holder is in the carriage properly, and the cutter is dropping down when cutting.  with the blade adjusted like it is supposed to be, it does not cut at all.

I was thinking maybe there is a way to adjust the carriage height?  I called and spoke with customer service and sent pics and a video, and the advice was to keep extending the blade until it cuts.  That worked, but it doesn't seem proper to run it fully extended.  Everything says 1/2 a credit card thickness, and I would say it's about 5 times that or more.

Just had a problem like this and he was using the pen holder, with the blade and it was also too high. .. Are you using the correct blade holder.? 

1/2 credit card is way too much.  

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing..  You should just barely and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Like 1

Definitely not using the pen holder.  I am using the blade holder.  With the blade properly adjusted, like you say above, the blade doesn't even scratch the ninyl when put in the machine.  I have adjusted the force as high as 200+ and still not a scratch.  Should I keep going higher?

Post a picture of your blade carriage. Let us see what everything looks like.

if it isn't touching the vinyl I really suspect not "ALL" the carriage wheels are on the track and if so there is something way wrong with that cutter

• Like 1

Might also try calling customer service again and talk to a different tech. Who ever it was you talked to that told you to kept extending the blade doesn't know how to do their job.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the suggestions.  From the video I sent to Customer service, they say the blade holder is the wrong one. I had a suspicion, so I had already ordered a new one (I figured it couldn't hurt to have an extra anyway).  The one I ordered should be here Tuesday so I will know for sure...Customer service also sent me a replacement at no charge.

• Like 2

Good for them but it still sucks to have to wait to play. Hope that gets you fixed.

• Like 2

Thanks for the sentiment but, Actually it cuts fine with the blade extended all the way, so I have been able to do some cutting.

My biggest disappointment is I bought a Demo/refurb model, and I would think this kind of thing would be eliminated...not sure how they refurbed and or demo'd it withour the orrect blade holder, but stuff happens.

I always try to look on the bright side in situations like this, and I learned a lot about this machine in the first 2 days from the couple of issues I had (had a loose connection on the right side shut off micro switch also).  If everything went perfect I wouldn't know much about it at all.

• Like 3

Just thought I would post the final outcome.  I received 2 new blade holders (1 I ordered and aid for and one UScutter sent me at no charge) and that did the trick...the wrong holder came with my machine.  They look very similar but the flange is a little lower on the wrong one, which raises the bottom of the cutter up and requires the blade to extend quite far to reach.

• Like 1