Primal Decals

Vinyl for etching with mini sandblaster

Wanting to play around with a mini sandblaster/eraser for glasses etc .

What vinyl or material do you guys suggest for masking for doing this that works best? Thank you..

I regularly use 651 or the Greenstar equivalent with good results.  For glassware I use a small Harbor Freight sandblast cabinet; with air pressure about 60 psi. Keep the gun moving, I go over the area 4 times, rotating the glass each time.  I get a good even & deep etch this way.  For new designs and playing around I use glass jars out of the recycle pail.

Cal

PS - a while back I posted up some tips for masking up glassware for quick production work.  You will find that you spend more time wrapping the glass up and unmasking than it takes to blast it.

Edited by clhyer
  • Like 3

Same here, 651 or greenstar. Have also use 631, but it has to be a flat piece. 631 is really hard to get to lay flat and stick on a glass. Also agree with clhyer, you spend more time masking and un masking then you do blasting. One thing I've started doing, is to use a plastic cup to cover the the top and sometimes bottom of the glass I'm blasting. much easier and faster than trying to tape it all off.

• Like 2

This is one of those situations where I actually PREFER the GS vinyl. It is a bit thicker, still cuts pretty easy and will come back off a little easier. If there are super intricate elements then I use a piece of scrap cast but it's thinner so you have to be more careful you don't blow a piece off. If you go with a cabinet (I did the same HF as the two previous I think) be sure and get a pressure regulator so you can tone it down a bit. 

Glass is super sweet to blast. 

• Like 3