Sign in to follow this  
mtnblzr

Help in applying a 20 Mil Football Helmet Logo/Decal

I found this site and thought you all might be able to help me with my quandary.  I'm trying to apply NFL Logo decals which are standard 20 Mil to some helmets.  Unfortunately, they are older from the early 80's and are rather stiff vinyl.  I've tried to apply on of the decals to a helmet and it kept popping up away from the helmet, so I applied an adhesive but to no avail...it came up and ruined the paint and now have to repaint that helmet. 

I've read a few sites online that suggest that you heat up thick vinyl stickers with a hair dryer, but that seems extremely temporary and feel it will cool off and pucker back up to it's original semi straight and rigid form.

Other sites suggested using a "Softner" for decals but I saw from some contributors that softners will only work for thinner stickers/decals.

Can anyone give me some solid suggestions to get these older style NFL Decals applied successfully?

I would appreciate your help.

Mtnblzr

Hear works wonders on vinyl and curved surfaces.  Laying flat, vinyl has a "memory" to it...heat relaxes the vinyl and should be applied to help lay it down and then again once the vinyl is stuck down (also helps with removal to get the adhesive softened up). Btw, I do car wraps and other graphics installs all day long.