J Wilson

SC-25 Cuts lighter on left side

I'm using my SC-25 cutter for the first time and I'm having a very unusual problem - it cuts perfectly on the right side, but then when it cuts on the left side, it doesn't cut as deeply.  This is on 24" vinyl masking, specifically.  So the 12 inches on the right are fine but the 12 inches on the left are too faint to weed.

I could increase the pressure but it's cutting fine on the right and I worry it'll start cutting the backing.

Make sure that the wheels of the carriage head are firmly down in the track.  Make sure the cutting strip is down good and level. 

And how did you set your blade depth? 

• Like 1

I used a credit card to position the blade at just under the same thickness.  I'm running 500/200 on the settings which cuts perfectly on the right side.

How do I check the carriage head?  It seems like a sealed unit.

A credit card is wayyyy too much blade exposed..   You set your blade depth like this...

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder..  It is less blade, more force...

Look at the wheels on the carriage head and make sure they are firmly down in the track. 

17 minutes ago, J Wilson said:

I used a credit card to position the blade at just under the same thickness.  I'm running 500/200 on the settings which cuts perfectly on the right side.

How do I check the carriage head?  It seems like a sealed unit.

I think I just read an emergency call for MZ SKEETER

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

A credit card is wayyyy too much blade exposed..

Anything less didn't cut anything for me, but I'll try your technique.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, J Wilson said:

Anything less didn't cut anything for me, but I'll try your technique.  Thanks.

You only use the very tip of the blade to cut vinyl..Vinyl is only 2-3 mil..If it is not cutting, then use more force. 

Just now, arty-rc said:

Did you check for a broken tip on the blade?

No, since it was cutting perfectly on one side and not the other.  I'll check that too.

Here's some photos of the issue.  When I push down on the cut head while it's off, on the right side:

IMG_5332.thumb.jpg.1998dcdcfae8fca2ff87172d8c80ff7b.jpg

Then on the left side, it doesn't touch the cutting strip at all:

IMG_5333.thumb.jpg.2e8c524f512e6bc35b6032d89c68db36.jpg

I checked the level of the cutting strip and it's fairly consistent all across.  

I'd call support tomorrow and have the pictures cued up to send to them

You definitely have something wacko and hopefully can get squared away. Once you are fixed up adjust your blade depth.  Like mentioned in an early answer your blade exposure is hurting my eyes. I realize to new people it seems like it shouldn't make a difference but it ABSOLUTELY DOES. Follow Skeeters directions and you can avoid a lot of future frustration due to improper blade depth. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

You definitely have something wacko and hopefully can get squared away. Once you are fixed up adjust your blade depth.  Like mentioned in an early answer your blade exposure is hurting my eyes. I realize to new people it seems like it shouldn't make a difference but it ABSOLUTELY DOES. Follow Skeeters directions and you can avoid a lot of future frustration due to improper blade depth. 

Ya definitely sticking out to far ..:blink:

Like everyone says 10 times too much blade but something else is wrong so best to get with support to fix or replace while new

• Like 3

wow! now that some blade.

did you just buy this cutter? I purchased a sc model cutter last yr. not only was the carriage off track when it arrived , but it was also stuck. wouldn't move up or dn. post a pic of the carriage without your finger so I can see how you have the tool holder set in the carriage.

plus look for the 3 white wheels the carriage runs on the track with. 2 at the bottom rail 1 in the center of the top

For those googling this problem, the issue was that I had the blade in the pen carriage, so that's why it was sitting so high.  Digging through the box I found the proper carriage and now the blade is at the right height and it cuts properly on both ends.

• Like 1

Now that you got that problem solved with the correct blade holder,.  I SURE hope you fixed that blade depth. on your going to be having a lot more problems. 

• Like 2

Yes, once I changed the holder it was easier to set the proper depth and the test on the scrap vinyl worked fine.  Thanks.

• Like 2