decalsdirect954

Clear transfer tape only picking up black and white

Does any one else have the problem of clear transfer tape only picking up black and white oracal 651, and not any other color? I have a order of 100 red decals, and once i taped it up and thought I was finished, none of the letters came up with the tape. I tested it with white and black and it lifts up fine. I then tried it with green and it wont pick it up. Now I have to manually peel every decal before I ship it out, what a pita.

Never use clear tape for selling,.  use paper medium tack. BUT  you don't "pick up" vinyl.  You squeegee the front of the tape real good , lay tape side down,and peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a big difference. I even send these instructions to my buyers.  You will actually pick up the wax paper backing along with the decal, doing it your way.   And the few items I did with clear,tape, never had a problem,  R-Tape  clear choice   Using  Oracal 651 different colors as well as General Formulations , vinyl...Always peel the backing away. 

Also a chance that you are cutting too deep and smashing the vinyl into the backing cuts. Check that. 

• Like 1

Yup, That is one of the known drawbacks of 651 vinyl. Good stuff. Great stuff actually for calendared vinyl and one of the favorites among the forum but it is a little "fun" to get off the backing. The upside is that same characteristic is what helps it cut and weed nice. Skeeters advice is pretty well word for word from Oracal. Some times application locations and needs do not allow the aforementioned to take place. If you have placed your decal in place on a sign or something try to use a hinge method so you can flip it over and get at the paper to still pull it off the vinyl. I actually use high tack paper tape for most of my stuff just to help avoid fighting it but that can in turn cause a few issues if the designs are thick and heavy getting the app tape back off after the install. If you are selling to customers give a roll of 751 a try. Costs more but you won't have any issues with this when using a cast vinyl. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 1:45 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Never use clear tape for selling,.  use paper medium tack. BUT  you don't "pick up" vinyl.  You squeegee the front of the tape real good , lay tape side down,and peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a big difference. I even send these instructions to my buyers.  You will actually pick up the wax paper backing along with the decal, doing it your way.   And the few items I did with clear,tape, never had a problem,  R-Tape  clear choice   Using  Oracal 651 different colors as well as General Formulations , vinyl...Always peel the backing away. 

Also a chance that you are cutting too deep and smashing the vinyl into the backing cuts. Check that. 

why shouldnt you use clear for selling?

"I" never use clear tape   I make very large decals.  You cannot roll decals that have clear tape, it will pull away from the decal.  You cannot apply decals wet with clear tape.  as you cannot get the app fluid to dry with clear tape..   I sell online and only use paper tape. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

"I" never use clear tape   I make very large decals.  You cannot roll decals that have clear tape, it will pull away from the decal.  You cannot apply decals wet with clear tape.  as you cannot get the app fluid to dry with clear tape..   I sell online and only use paper tape. 

got ya, didnt know you cant roll clear tape. 

I keep a roll of 10" Clear choice around for an occasional small decal that someone wants or small layered work but I am with the rest, paper tape is best. Another tip, I suggest stepping up to 751. The cost is more but typical pricing can cover the cost difference and you will save a lot of frustration especially with complicated work. Cuts and weeds easier as well as lifts off the carrier better and has a better lifespan etc... Up-sell it or advertise it as a better product than the average.  

On 7/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Vinyl thickness can vary. The colors could be running thicker so you are not cutting into the backing.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:55 AM, Primal Decals said:

ditto- paper tape

@Primal Decals where do I order ditto paper tape??  have u been holding out on me? u have never mentioned such an item... lol

now on a serious note, I learn something almost every time I log on. I use and I have tried both, a long with several different brands of clear. the 1st I tried with wet apply basically seemed to melt to the vinyl. I now found some that I can use wet, but its still not like using paper. in my opinion it depends on the job what tape I use. but I do like using the clear for layering. and for display at the shop I try to keep the ft sticker on the display in clear so customers can see the decal better. 

• Haha 1