I have Vinylmaster LTR.  How do I trim, crop, delete, erase (or whatever the correct term is) something that is outside of my page lines so that it won't cut?  I turned a picture into an SVG and it looks like a silhouette.  Really want to cut this, but I have too much background outside my desired page size lines.  I can't figure out how to either tell it not to cut outside the lines or how to crop off what I don't want.  Help!

There are probably other ways to accomplish this but I would simply draw a box (or other shape if it fits better) over the top of the area you don't want and then select both and use the Objects>Shaping> Back minus front to remove anything covered by the top object. You can use this action to do all kinds of modifications. 

• Like 1

Well I got the box over it, I selected it.  However when I go to objects>shaping, that option isn't highlighted so I can't  select it.  Tried the scissors and only the boxes went away.  I am sure this shouldn't be so hard.  

What version do you have? Maybe that is not live in some of the lower versions. Are you sure you selected both objects at the same time? 

I have LTR.   No I am not sure.  It doesn't appear to be live.  It will be pretty ridiculous if I can not do this seemingly simple thing in this version.  Why does it want to cut outside of my page size anyway.  What good is the page size if it cuts things outside the lines?  Sorry, just frustrated.

Typically you will have anything that is part of the file cut regardless of the art board size. There are notable exceptions to this such as Sure Cuts A Lot (SCALP) however they are the exception not the standard. Your cutter is looking at the design as a collection of lines and curves. It looks for the start point of the line (or assigns one) and starts the cut until it reaches the end then picks up and moves to the next line. To just cut what is within the boundary of your art board will cause unfinished lines to just end and you'll not be able to weed it. Take a look at the vector in outline mode and you will see what your cutter see's. The color associated with the individual lines is recognized and assigned by the cutting software otherwise it will just cut them all even if they overlap. If you use a scissors tool and chop the line you will want to connect it back to the other part of the line or you will have issues. It's a different concept than printing. 

Page size or art board size is used more to control your scale and alignment. If you are building a sign that is 12" tall by 24" wide then I usually make that my art board size and then drag in some guides to help stay the right distance away from the edges and use the whole art board to align and distribute objects. Easy peasy. 

• Like 1

I wish the VM program would run on mac without having to run parallels. I am a die hard AI user and probably always will be but the overall design capabilities of VM Pro are impressive and if I were a pc guy and starting into this realm I would probably opt that direction. I guess what I'm getting at is if you are going to end up needing a more robust program you probably can't beat VM Pro for a design program on a dollar for dollar comparison. The 3D and shadowing options alone are some of the most intuitive and easy to operate in the business, even better than Flexi IMO. AI does a lot of things well but Cast shadows and true block shadows are a PIA compared to the two second renderings done in VM Pro. 

• Like 1

Guest Tasha

Hi. I’m looking to separate this design from the background color black. I’m putting it on sublimation paper and printing from my ink jet printer. I don’t want it to print the black. Help!

thank you 

E41477F9-46F9-4BAC-A7C0-344B50B8518E.jpeg

Register to be a forum member, and your posts will go up immediately. There is no charge to register.

I discourage you from posting images/graphics that have been created by someone else, and asking how to modify it, unless you have express permission from creator.

You would need some kind of raster graphics editor, like PhotoShop to remove the back ground. Because you have several shades in the background, it would take some time to remove it completely.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.