Hi,

First let me thank everyone for all the excellent discussions on this board. I can't tell you how helpful it's been reading up on everything these last few months.

Now for my problem. . . I got my LaserPoint II a few weeks ago and I've been familiarizing myself with how it operates and how to handle the software (Inkscape and VinylMasterCut). I cut about a dozen different images and just weeded them right on the cutter. I learn better by doing and so they are strictly for practice. I noticed on one of the first ones there was a square dent. Didn't think much of it, as the first few inches of a lot of these rolls were pretty beat up. It was nearing 100 degrees when USCutter shipped them and when they arrived here the next day, so the vinyl was pretty soft to be bouncing around the back of a UPS truck. ( GreenStar Intermediate Calendered vinyl that came with the cutter )

You can see the dent just to the right of the light reflection.

So today I cut off about 18" of vinyl with a bunch of stickers on it and when the light hits just right a notice a lot more of those dents. There are three rows of them, right in line with the pinch rollers. And you can see a cross-hatch pattern running up the page between each dent. I'm new to this, but I'm going to take a wild guess that the pinch rollers are way too tight. They each have two knurled knobs that would adjust the tension. What is the proper procedure for adjusting it?

Also, do you remove your vinyl at the end of the day or just leave it in the cutter? I noticed the dents are any place where it sat for a few hours.

pinch rollers.jpg

DO NOT ADJUST THE PINCH ROLLERS!!! The dents and cross hatch patterns will go away after installation. Too many people screw up their cutters by changing the pinch roller adjustments. I've been cutting vinyl since 2010 using 6 different machines and have never had to touch the pinch roller adjustment. Temperature will affect the vinyl in very hot conditions. That was why I stopped cutting vinyl on the road during the summer months.

• Like 2

We usually discourage messing with the pinch roller tension. (Whoop Arty beat me to it before I got my reply done.)

You should see the pinch roller marks on my Summa. Not even usable in that area and I just cut inside the rollers. Most of the rest of the cutter world use wider pinch rollers and somewhat lighter pressures so they can get away with cutting and using the area under them. Try using just two and work inside the rollers when possible. Vinyl is inexpensive and a half inch or so wasted along the edges usually won't kill you. Otherwise, if the cut goes ok through the roller area the marks will go away like Arty mentioned and it won't likely be a problem long term. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ShaneGreen said:

you can see a cross-hatch pattern running up the page

The roller marks will disappear when the vinyl is removed from the backing paper...

roller marks like that haven't came out for me. the only way I get them that bad is leaving the rollers dn a long time, or cycling the vinyl thru the cutter several times