RUFFSTUFF

Why Is There This Product Gap? (Cutters)

I have a 53" SC that recently stopped receiving data. Looking for an upgrade and the choices to handle 30" vinyl are very slim:

LaserPoint II 31.5", 50" (is it really an upgrade? Is that 31.5" cutting material width?)

Graphtec CE6000 48" ($3400)

Titan 3 68" ($1900 and definitely don't need anything that wide!)

Mimaki CG-SR III 42", $2700

..and on.

So to cut 30" material and not have a value cutter, the next choice is a 68", $1900 cutter?

Bummer.

Specs for the Laser Pointer state it cuts  31.5" W        

LaserPoint II Vinyl Cutter Specifications

MODEL 25"  35" 50"

Maximum Cut Width 23" 31.5" 47"

Even though you don't need the Titan 3 68" size,  that would be the bargain, if you had the room for it.  On sale for $1516.  That is a great price for a servo with ARMS at that size.

http://www.uscutter.com/68-inch-TITAN-3-ARMS-Contour-Cutting-Vinyl-Cutter-VinylMaster

Maybe more than you wanted to spend,(you didn't state your budget) but I went with the 30" Graphtec FC model 9 years ago and never regretted it.   Never had the first problem.. 

Yeah, looks like the Titan 3 is a good way to go. Wonder what happened to the 53" Titan 3? Oh, and they want $234 to ship from uscutter.com! Let's see, eBay has it for $1595 with free shipping. Sheesh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RUFFSTUFF said:

Yeah, looks like the Titan 3 is a good way to go. Wonder what happened to the 53" Titan 3? Oh, and they want $234 to ship from uscutter.com! Let's see, eBay has it for $1595 with free shipping. Sheesh.

not sure the 53" was ever replaced after an entire container showed up with the roller spacing altered - rollers were spaced something like every 15" with nothing for smaller widths.  would have thought they would have gotten that corrected from the mfg and reordered but that is the last ones I remember seeing - 

Titan is a good cutter.I have the titan 2 28" and i have no complaints in the past 2 1/2 years . knock on wood lol

16 minutes ago, RUFFSTUFF said:

Anyone know if the rollers can be repositioned on the Titan 3 68"?

as far as i know , only where the grit roller are coming up at ,.At least thats how my titan 2 28" is. I just look at the image of one and it looks the same ... I think all titans are the same. Not like some of the other cutters that have one long grit roller that the vinyl lays on ,There are white lines that tell you where the rollers have to go..

49 minutes ago, RUFFSTUFF said:

Anyone know if the rollers can be repositioned on the Titan 3 68"?

go here and see where the roller need to be placed ..

This has come up a few times before. Primal, what do you do when you need to use a 2 or 3 inch wide scrap? Is there a piece of the drive shaft open to allow this on your cutter? The vid has a piece of vinyl in so you can't tell. 

21 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

This has come up a few times before. Primal, what do you do when you need to use a 2 or 3 inch wide scrap? Is there a piece of the drive shaft open to allow this on your cutter? The vid has a piece of vinyl in so you can't tell. 

bet a cutting mat - like a cricut mat :)

• Like 1

@Wildgoose.The video ( about 37 secs into it ) was just to show the white marks where the pinch rollers have to go and the type of grit roller shaft it has... I think i remember seeing a cheaper cutter that has the grit roller fully exposed all the way across which would allow you to place the pinch rollers anywhere you wanted .But on a titan you cant ....

And yes on mine i can use a 3 " wide piece of scrap on the right side( the grit rollers are 3" apart. thats why i went with the 28" model cause on the larger one they didnt have ( at the time) pinch rollers close like that.i think they changed it to a min of 12" or 15" for scrap.

• Like 1

So as far as we know most of the current line-up of titans have a smaller option over on the side so you can utilize scraps? I wasn't sure myself and know that a lot of new buyers or potential buyers search around a little and this is one of those things that a newbie wouldn't think of so it was worth clarifying. 

16 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

bet a cutting mat - like a cricut mat :)

That would work as a fix for those that didn't have an option. Be a PIA to use all the time though. 

Just now, Wildgoose said:

That would work as a fix for those that didn't have an option. Be a PIA to use all the time though. 

and not practical for using cut down rolls on long runs

I only use the right side for when i do have scraps left for around that size. and for me , i do all the time .  Here is the right side of mine20348114_10210567801213451_798993331_o.thumb.jpg.7c00d3ac5a8115df155ca1415a069a01.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

8 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

and not practical for using cut down rolls on long runs

If the Titan 3 larger cutter only let you use a min of 12" or 15 " roll or scrap on the right( Unless they have made another change to it) ,then anyone with a ton of scrap less than  that would have to toss a bunch of material ... But for me ( Titan 2) I have the option of a min of 3",4 1/2, and 7" min.  Just letting anyone know the difference between the titan 2 28" and a cutter larger than that pinch roller specs.

I believe that spacing error was on that one container load of tian3 54 inch cutters - if I recall correctly that wasn't a problem on the other ones including the 68".  that would be a good question for sales when and if ordering one.  it is not a general problem with all titan3 cutters but just that load of 54" ones

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

So as far as we know most of the current line-up of titans have a smaller option over on the side so you can utilize scraps? I wasn't sure myself and know that a lot of new buyers or potential buyers search around a little and this is one of those things that a newbie wouldn't think of so it was worth clarifying. 

2 1/2 years  ago when i first got into vinyl it actually was one thing i did think of,I wanted to make use of all the vinyl i could even the scraps .so having the option of using the smaller stuff to make money was important as well.At least for me that is lol.. And at that time when they changed the design on the titan 3 pinch rollers to a wider  Minimum scrap sizes than the titan 2 28" is why i went with the 28".

3 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I believe that spacing error was on that one container load of tian3 54 inch cutters - if I recall correctly that wasn't a problem on the other ones including the 68".  that would be a good question for sales when and if ordering one.  it is not a general problem with all titan3 cutters but just that load of 54" ones

Maybe they changed it ,which would be a good thing if i ever upgrade to a larger one,If they fixed it, then that will be my next upgrade to a titan 3 ,if not i will stick with my titan 2 or have to find a equal or better cutter for those needs i seek lol.  I will call uscutter and see if they made the fix or not..

According to tech support at uscutter. On the titan 3 68 inch cutter, the minimum pinch rollers width is 7 to 8 inches...

Well I have rolls of 30" vinyl and I either have to go with the LaserPoint to use what I have, or downsize to a Titan 2 or 3. I don't have a need for a 68" cutter the more I think about it. It's a shame since that 68" is the best value as said before.

10 hours ago, RUFFSTUFF said:

Well I have rolls of 30" vinyl and I either have to go with the LaserPoint to use what I have, or downsize to a Titan 2 or 3. I don't have a need for a 68" cutter the more I think about it. It's a shame since that 68" is the best value as said before.

I had a 50" and downsized - if you have ever tried to weed and mask bigger you understand why :)

I agree totally with Dakota on the width. My first cutter could;d handle 48" vinyl and I actually tried that once.... Once was enough for cut vinyl.  When I upgraded I downsized to a 30" cutter. I cut 30" a few times a year and it's very nice to have that option but I don't mess with wider. If I was a large format printer dude and had a nice big wide printer it would be a different story. For cut vinyl 24" will handle 95% of it. 

• Like 2