Sign in to follow this  
JuliaTN

Oracal 651 equivalent?

I'm using Oracal 651 (gold, silver, copper, matte black & matte white if it matters) to make wholesale products and I'm generally happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the Oracal branding on the back. Does anyone know if Oracal ever does any white labeling (i.e. where a known brand produces their product for someone else to put their own or no brand on it)? If so, where could I buy it? I'm definitely not trying to go to a lesser product and price isn't the issue - although I don't really want to pay more than I am now.  The volume is way too high to bother with taking the decals and transferring them to another backer, BTW. 

house brands like greenstar usually don't put a name on the back - won't use em but that is an option - oracal and 3m put their name on the back fdc does sometimes but a lot of time theirs is blank and better choice than house brands.  Personally I advertise I use oracal and 3m to show I use quality products and am very Leary of people that sell no name vinyl.  IMHO

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

house brands like greenstar usually don't put a name on the back - won't use em but that is an option - oracal and 3m put their name on the back fdc does sometimes but a lot of time theirs is blank and better choice than house brands.  Personally I advertise I use oracal and 3m to show I use quality products and am very Leary of people that sell no name vinyl.  IMHO

Same here ..... For me when i mention the product name i use like Oracal as well , I kinda school the customer on cheap brands and name brand material, quality and expectations of the material im selling. I feel when you have a good name to back your work it helps you out much more and that will get around if people happen to know about cheap china vinyl versus a name brand  ,rather than saying i dont know the name of what it is , but it should last lol... No thanks . My name and my material is my business and by using a lower quality non branded product is just asking for less business or no business and people will talk really fast about failing products you sell.

Where are you buying from ? Uscutter? Thats where i buy all mine from and i dont have a complaint on the pricing ,especially if your charging enough. Once i found out what a design etc costs me to make after learning all this in the past 2 1/2 years i dont even bat an eye anymore ...  And i can thank Wildgoose,Dakotagrafix  and a few others  for one for all the help they given me .

• Like 1

the price per decal is usually just a penny or two also for the good stuff

• Like 2

Price is not the issue at all. I'm not looking for a cheaper product, just for one that doesn't have its own branding. I would, in fact, be willing to pay a slight premium if I could get the same Oracal product without the Oracal name on it. 

General Formulations carries  their vinyl with no branding on the backing.  In calendered and cast.  Calendered is close to Oracal 651. This vinyl is sold at many outlets as their own house brand..  As Shrine Rite  Endura Gloss.  and many other house brand names.  You could try a sample, craft people sell small swatches on Ebay, or smaller rolls.  and see if you like it,  Earlmich.com sells it,  Fellers, the list goes on and on. General Formulations products are made in Michigan and has been in business since 1953

http://www.generalformulations.com/Home

I guess I'm just the opposite. I want my customers to SEE that I gave them a good quality product. No-name vinyl could be ANYTHING. If I am wandering a store with vinyl decals I usually flip them up to see what the brand is on the paper. If it's no name I pretty well assume it's crap.