contagiousvision

I'm new to forum and need some help

So I'm new to this place and the industry. Looking for some advice on getting started. I want to start a small clothing line of my own, also looking to make custom things for people to bring in some extra money while I start. I have a budget of right around 4k give or take a little. i am looking at getting the Geo Knight dk20s, graphtech CE6000-60, curious to know what printer would you guys recommend. do I even need a special printer or can I actually use my little epson ink jet printer? looking for all and any advice. what other things would you recommend to get started. best vinyl and for what uses, thanks every body.

actually you have made a very solid choice on equipment - lots of people move up to those after years of messing with lower quality equipment

• Like 4

Agree with Dakota, rock solid choices you won't regret for the cutter and press.

As for printing, get yourself some durabrite ink for your printer and you can do transfers. If you can only print 8.5"x11" you will find that you want to upsize later but you can get some designs to fit. If your printer is something that can handle bigger sheets you can look into aftermarket ink and save a lot of money. I do a little shirt work with Jet Pro Soft Stretch (JPSS) now and then. Works great on pure white cotton or cotton/poly. I keep some 3G transfer paper for dark fabrics on hand for the occasional need but I really don't like the feel of ANY of the offerings for dark fabrics so I try to steer people toward HTV if at all possible. 

I am a die hard Siser Easyweed user. I have tried out several other brands without complaints but prefer the Siser overall. Especially the Siser Stretch. I do a LOT of HTV work. Just found that most of the other brands have varied application temps and dwell times and cold/warm or hot peel variations and Siser is more uniform as a hot peel (much faster production) and pretty well universal lower temperature. By keeping it all the same I don't have to pay attention too closely unless I have a special need that changes the set-up.

• Like 3

awesome thank you for the replies.

I just ran across a guy selling a roland CJ-500 seemed like a good deal was not sure if I should buy it. 

Wildgoose. can you message me. I have a few questions on the printer stuff. thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, contagiousvision said:

awesome thank you for the replies.

I just ran across a guy selling a roland CJ-500 seemed like a good deal was not sure if I should buy it. 

Wildgoose. can you message me. I have a few questions on the printer stuff. thanks.

first make sure those old dx2 heads are still available and that it has the heaters etc in a eco sol conversion - haven't even heard about one of those in about 3-4 years.  if it hasn't been converted to solvent make sure you can still get the heater kit and all the other stuff that had to be replaced to solvent- 10 years ago a lot of those were being converted and parts were easily available but with the printer being about 12+ years since it came out it may be tougher now as much faster better resolution printers are readily available now - 

PS make sure you see a head test print first as if it has sat at all (even a few weeks) will almost guarantee you will need new solvent heads

***** update looks like heads are available on ebay for around $430 each - beware of the ones that say seller refurbished I have to call BS on that as they NEVER come back to good function after clogs or deflections 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

first make sure those old dx2 heads are still available and that it has the heaters etc in a eco sol conversion - haven't even heard about one of those in about 3-4 years.  if it hasn't been converted to solvent make sure you can still get the heater kit and all the other stuff that had to be replaced to solvent- 10 years ago a lot of those were being converted and parts were easily available but with the printer being about 12+ years since it came out it may be tougher now as much faster better resolution printers are readily available now - 

PS make sure you see a head test print first as if it has sat at all (even a few weeks) will almost guarantee you will need new solvent heads

***** update looks like heads are available on ebay for around $430 each - beware of the ones that say seller refurbished I have to call BS on that as they NEVER come back to good function after clogs or deflections 

Okay yeah he replaced a lot of stuff already. heads was one of those. he has not used it in about 2 months. everything worked when I went to go look at but printer heads did not print. he said it just needed to be cleaned out. everything looked in good condition.

Contagious, good luck with your business.  My daughter has been designing and making clothes for a couple years now, seems like a tough business to break into.

Curious as to what you plan for the printer?  From what I have learned on here, if you do not use it several days a week they may be more trouble than they are worth?  And very expensive to maintain.

Cal

15 hours ago, contagiousvision said:

Okay yeah he replaced a lot of stuff already. heads was one of those. he has not used it in about 2 months. everything worked when I went to go look at but printer heads did not print. he said it just needed to be cleaned out. everything looked in good condition.

if sat for a month the heads are trash again - once they had solvent in them they needed to print daily or at least every other day- my last 2 rolands turn themselves on about 4 times a day to pull ink thru the heads to keep them clear and stop clogging- - and if it didn't print anything I would be suspicious it might need a new mainboard or printer head board and for a printer 15 years old that might be a tough find

• Like 1

more bad printers have been sold by sellers offering hope but if it was that easy and cheap to get it going they would have done that before listing.  also make sure it has the aftermarket heaters needed for solvent ink - it should have a pre and post heater and a control box as that printer originally was offered as water based before people converted them

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

more bad printers have been sold by sellers offering hope but if it was that easy and cheap to get it going they would have done that before listing.  also make sure it has the aftermarket heaters needed for solvent ink - it should have a pre and post heater and a control box as that printer originally was offered as water based before people converted them

he said he was going to clean it out and has replaced them he has shown me a video of it working right before he upgraded that is why he is selling. I am hoping that everything will be okay and be able to run fine on this for a few months until I can try and upgrade. I do not have the 20k for a new model so i am hoping for the best on it.

10 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

Welcome bud.   @contagiousvision  by chance are you from the T-shirt forum ?

yes I am on there but dont use it much. people have been more helpful on here.

1 hour ago, contagiousvision said:

he said he was going to clean it out and has replaced them he has shown me a video of it working right before he upgraded that is why he is selling. I am hoping that everything will be okay and be able to run fine on this for a few months until I can try and upgrade. I do not have the 20k for a new model so i am hoping for the best on it.

I am saying I have owned 3 solvent printers and if he has not run it for even 3+ days those heads are toast . . . nice to have video of them working when they was put in but solvent printers are not like you aqueous home printer and once they sit a couple of days they clog - permanently - tell him to clean the heads and show you a current perfect nozzle test - 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I am saying I have owned 3 solvent printers and if he has not run it for even 3+ days those heads are toast . . . nice to have video of them working when they was put in but solvent printers are not like you aqueous home printer and once they sit a couple of days they clog - permanently - tell him to clean the heads and show you a current perfect nozzle test - 

VOE right there... 'nuff said.

Cal

• Like 1

Okay thank you where can I find the print heads? I know it I say it Saturday it moved to print but no ink came out. What else should I look for Dakota? Thank you so much for the help. 

do a search for dx2 print heads - pretty sure that is what that one uses.  with no ink coming out you don't know if the heads being clogged is the only problem or did he blow the board they connect to or the mainboard when putting them in - I have seen many many people buy a cheap printer and just power it down by the button and not remove all power and fry the printhead control board or mainboard when replacing heads - then they have the cost of the new heads that are junk in short order from not pulling in thru them daily and the cost of the boards that in the past have been $1200-$2600 each - if still available.   at that point that cheap printer didn't seem so cheap

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 10:55 PM, contagiousvision said:

yes I am on there but dont use it much. people have been more helpful on here.

I thought you were .Ive been snagging a lot of people from there to come to here lol

• Like 1