dave_dj1

First trailer

This is my first large job. I did the front name as a wet application, maybe the weather but it was slow to dry, the rest I used the hinge method.

I'm hoping it leads to more work as will tell everyone who asks that I did it. I will finish it up tomorrow, the other side and back.

Thinking about adding a logo? What do you think of that? I know the people that do large jobs around here do it.

GPJiHnD.jpg

A18vsTq.jpg

AyAqbZb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. 

Primal, I don't have a problem with dry installs for the smaller stuff but this trailer siding was flimsy, it would bend in between the studs so keeping good pressure was a little difficult. Is there any reason you don't so wet as in do you feel it's not as good of a job? 

Thank you for your feedback

• Like 1

Dry here too. Way to slow wet and troubles with rivets and spray IMO. I hate rivets/screws. The mountains you kinda have to do all at once but the text you could top or bottom hinge and cut up a little to help dry apply. 

I'm sure it was customer choice but I'm not a fan of the three color mix. blah. 

• Like 2

I took the screws out where the decals went. Yes it was what the customer wanted, why don't you like it? I'm asking because I'm no graphic designer...lol

There is no continuity to the color scheme. Nothing wrong with the phone number being more noticeable but the size alone would probably accomplish that. Is there regular business logo colored like that? Like on business cards and such? if so then I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Like I said its often not your choice anyway. Have had many jobs over the years that I have shook my head at. Once in a while I have even refused to do something particularly cruddy because I didn't want people thinking I had anything to do with the design. (Not that your job is in that category)

On 7/19/2017 at 2:23 PM, dave_dj1 said:

Thanks guys. 

Primal, I don't have a problem with dry installs for the smaller stuff but this trailer siding was flimsy, it would bend in between the studs so keeping good pressure was a little difficult. Is there any reason you don't so wet as in do you feel it's not as good of a job? 

Thank you for your feedback

I was just never taught wet let alone dry installs. when i first got into this just over 2 1/2 years with zero experience i think i seen a post that said dry installs were more difficult to install cause you only really get one chance of laying it down versus using wet and that allows you to lift and or move in some cases .>So i  took it as a challenge for myself to attempt dry, And let me tell you ,my first install was a small 12 x22 printed door front image i had outsourced since i dont print and i had sooooo many bubbles and i started freaking out and i instantly started posting questions and help about it lol.. and i was informed that they would go away once it warmed up, and they did lol I was panicking tho....  , So i attempted a wet install and i just didnt like  having to wait etc.....  So now i do everything dry no matter what it has gone on,Even if it was like what you did, it would still be dry install, You just have to be a little more cautious when applying to keep it from stretching or flexing ...    I would say about 98% of my dry installs come out flawless ,unless i do something wrong ....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

There is no continuity to the color scheme. Nothing wrong with the phone number being more noticeable but the size alone would probably accomplish that. Is there regular business logo colored like that? Like on business cards and such? if so then I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Like I said its often not your choice anyway. Have had many jobs over the years that I have shook my head at. Once in a while I have even refused to do something particularly cruddy because I didn't want people thinking I had anything to do with the design. (Not that your job is in that category)

As I said, I have no formal training or education in graphic art or anything. It's also what he wanted Looking at it from a customers standpoint I want my dollars spent to be maximized. I have seen so many pickup trucks and job trailers lettered up with so much information and/or bad color choices that you can't even tell what that company does. I want to be able to read the name and number from across the street while driving by.Just my .02

• Like 3

that's pretty much the way I look at it. what good is it if you cant read it? I'm a unexperienced/ no graphic, computer education newbie. everything self taught, learned from post on here, or by @Primal Decals.  I just finished lettering my 3rd commercial vehicle a few weeks ago. and that's how I explained it to him. I feel like if it isn't big and bold enough no 1 will know what it says passing it on the road at 45mph. colors and fonts customers pick out can make that hard. that's when I tell them to start paying attention to other vehicles with graphics/lettering, do they just look pretty sitting still, or can it be read moving?  I have 2 more commercial vehicles to quote this week, so maybe I'm doing something close to right.lol

• Like 2