Mags

New 3802 with Temperature problems

I just set up my new 15X15 clamshell 3802 and as soon as I plug it in, the display shows the temperature at 152°F.  OF COURSE it arrived Friday afternoon so by the time it was set up the support number was closed for the weekend.  I've submitted a ticket and I'll be calling support ASAP on Monday but since I have a pile of shirts begging to be pressed - is there anything I can do to reset it to some default?  I've tried all the standard unplug/reconnect/off/on/reset button (which didn't engage anything so I don't think that's the problem, just desperation!).  I turned the temperature up to 350°F, let it heat up (it did but I don't know how hot it actually got), turned it off and unplugged to sit overnight in my basement craft room where it's quite cool, and when I plugged it in and turned on it still said 152°F.  The plate is completely cool to the touch when I start, by the way, so it isn't heating on its own due to demonic possession or sitting near something hot.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, even if it's an exorcism ritual.  Unless it involves sprinkling it with glitter, because that's just over the line.

Thank you!

Just reading your manual. Have you followed the instructions,  and calibrated it..?  And you will need an infrared thermometer gun. .

How to Calibrate the temperature of your new Heat Press: On a new heat press, it is not unusual for the temperature settings to be off by 18 to 20 degrees. To fix this, follow these simple steps: 1. Set the Heat Press temperature settings to 380F on the control panel. (See info on this below) 2. When the press heats to about 100F, press the down arrow on the control panel for 5 seconds. The heat press will go into Calibration Mode. It may take as long as 20 minutes to finish this process. Do not turn off or unplug the press during this time. To ensure total accuracy, you might also want to test the heat press using an Infrared Thermometer Gun. (available at most hardware stores.) Setting the Time and Temperature on your new Heat Press: 1. Using the control panel screen, press the “Set” button then the up or down arrow to the desired temperature. 2. Press the Set button again and set the timer using the up and down arrows. 3. Press the Set button and arrows again to choose Fahrenheit or Celsius. 4. Press the Set button again to confirm these settings. 5. Press the Set button and use arrows one more time to set an alarm that will notify you in advance when it is time to open the press.

According to my manual, in order to calibrate it I set it to 380°F, then as it's heating I hit one of the arrow buttons for 5 seconds when it reaches 100°F to start calibration.  I should have included that information.  The starting temperature shows as 152°F so I can't get it to hit that magic 100 that allows me to start calibration.  This is where I am stuck: it clearly needs to calibrate but I can't calibrate if it reads over 100°F even when stone cold.

Valid comment, I apologize for failing to mention that I did download the manual and attempt to follow the instructions!

I just tried changing it to Celsius.  This time when I turned it on, it read 129°F.  Switched it to Celsius and it showed 53°C so at least it is consistent.  The equivalent of 100°F should be about 38°C so still too high to do a calibration.  I tried anyway for the hell of it but no luck.  Also changed it back to Fahrenheit before unplugging so I don't burn the house down from forgetting and it stayed at 129°. 

Thanks for the attempts!  It's getting late so I'll call support tomorrow and post what they say in case anyone else gets a "special" one.

After spending time on the phone with tech support today it appears the problem isn't fixable by the consumer.  It's being replaced.  The troubleshooting indicates that the SSR and control panel are bad.  Now to wait for the return shipping label, wait a week for it to get to them on the opposite side of the country, then wait for a new one to be delivered.  Fingers crossed I'll have better luck next time.