Well Good evening to all I have got contacted by a church to letter their van.  i was told that i had to place a bid on the work that needed to be done. so i went out measured everything made sure i had the vinyl in stock before i done this bid. ( although i needed to order anyway) I've have talked with the gentleman running the "show" as you'd say. needless to say i felt like i got stuck. i told them upfront to do any designing would be a charge upfront because if i didn't get the work  i still need to be compensated for my time and efforts. i felt like $35 was good for this because of the mileage and all to do so. Although i am not a sign company i try to price accordingly. my bid was for $225 with 5 year warranty for the vinyl and work, another bid was placed for $1200 one for $1500 but these other bid warranty their work for 10 years because they laminated over their vinyl so that gave them a extra 5 years added on. needless to say i lost the bid due to that nature and felt like i should ask why do you laminate over it? although i let them know that i was still owed for the design time and extras . But looks like i probably will not get paid because they said is wasn't necessarily  because they didnt chose my work. We (the director) and i spend 45 mins over the phone in person and sent back pictures of said work to them. to ok with the job that was needed and in the end i though i was gonna get the job. Bad news happened last night. so im frustrated with myself for not getting a upfront payment  and would like some advice on maybe a invoice to them to take care of this matter. what would you all do if this were you.

I never charge for estimates, even with a site visit. Just the cost of doing business. I DO limit the amount of graphic effort that I go to with mock-ups and such until the deal is sealed which keeps the actual cost to me really low. Unless the job is tiny $225 is not enough money and you probably scared them into thinking you are a fly-by-night company or that you don't know what you are doing. Know/learn your prices so you can be plenty competitive.

The lamination is for printed graphics. Cut vinyl doesn't need it and your vinyl if you use what you should on a vehicle (at least 751 Oracal) would be good for min of 7 years according to the manufacturer. That is all based on theoretical exposure and vertical placement etc... In the end I have yet to have a vinyl fail from a manufacturer problem. If it is going to fail it will likely be from an installation problem which you are going to be on your own with anyway so just tell them you'll match the 10 year if you're worried about missing out. You could also get a loophole around the laminate issue if they are dead set on extra UV protection and hit it with a shot of Frog Juice but it's not necessary IMO.  Just think if you had been $1100 and told them you would do a UV overspray for no extra charge.  Know your competition and it can make you a lot higher percentages. 

• Like 2

@Wildgoose  Very well said and explained buddy. I dont charge for estimates either. I will give a close ballpark and not spend tons of time just in case i dont get it ,But i always mention i will take care of my customers if there is ever a problem, And there hasnt been one yet. I havent been outbid yet. I also let them know there is no design fee and that i use top grade material .

I had to do one bid one time and they told me what they wanted ,never seen anything but a flyer with a name  they wanted  done and they told me what the big boy shop was charging which was around $1200 and they needed the vehicle for 3 days at least, and i knew i had it in the bank cause of who it was . So I gave a bid of about  $800  and i had it done in a few hours, It cost me about $100 in material . I was happy with what i made for a few hours work.Plus it was at a lake with great view . They were ecstatic and how well it turned out,the money they saved etc .And they plastered my name all over their website . Dont ever get discouraged when you dont get something ,Just know that if they ever come back to that you just mark it up a little lol..

• Like 3