MrJoel

Optimal temperature range for cutting vinyl?

I'm still running my part time stuff out of the garage at home...it's getting hot (ok, it has been really hot). What temp does the vinyl go wonky when cutting for you seasoned vets out there?

I keep my vinyl stored under at least 80* ..Im sure there is a point to where vinyl will act strange when cutting and it looses it grip against the backing paper if it gets to warm, which i think would cause an issue. I have never heard of it happening tho.Just a guess, Do you have it just out in the open or stored in a cabinet ?  Mine is in a temp controlled room ,But i would make a  enclosed cabinet or try to store it inside where its cooler.I would hate to see you loose all your material.

I seem to recall reading that most vinyl the recommended temp. for storage was something like 65F-75F. Don't remember the exact number, I just remember that the upper temperature was much lower than I would have expected.

• Like 1

I had been keeping it outside but it's too freakin hot now.  All I do is reflective and I've been noticing "chatter marks" where the blade is sticking a bit as it tries to cut through.  Much like the way hand cutting vinyl on wrapped cars can tend to get alligatored when it's hot (and I did 3 wraps today with 3 companies vinyl...it got very weird when the shop temp hit 95).  I guess I'll try to keep it inside until I'm ready to cut it...I'm weeding inside anyway

• Like 1

The self-adhesive products ORACAL®, ORAJET®, ORAGUARD®, ORABOND®, ORALITE®, and ORAMOUNT® are supplied in rolls and should at all times be stored either suspended or standing on end on the roll blocks provided, and never lying on the material side. For storage and processing they should be kept in a cool dry place protected from sunlight. Relative air humidity between 50% and 60% and temperature between + 64°F and 72°F should be ensured. Direct sunlight, storage beside radiators, etc. should by all means be avoided.

• Like 2

There ya go, the temp is even colder than I thought. I don't even keep my house that cold in the summer time.

• Like 1