1toymaker

Oracle 651 not sticking to a powder coated bottle

Hi I'm etching a powder coated bottle (like a Hydro Flask) I did one batch and they turned out good. I'm doing a second batch and the Oracle 651 vinyl that I am using (and used on the first batch) is not sticking to the powder coated bottle. I am looking for any suggestions on what to clean the bottle with and what temperatures does the Oracle 651 have the best adhesion.

Thank you

Rick S.. 

I have never done those bottles before nor powder coated material. But i do use Oracal all the time.... I suggest rubbing alcohol ,but do a test spot first just to be safe ,I use alcohol for all my cleaning and i also use Rapid Prep as well... If there is a hint of any dust ,you will have problems.Even oil that may not visible will cause problems....  As for temp anything above 50* Fahrenheit will work. Its labeled as a min of 46 but i stay away from that low just in case.My preference is above 65 to 80. I will use a heatgun to get it warm ( Not Hot ) that way i know it will stick..Ive even done it in the rain, I just add heat and apply. Never had one fall of yet..

Maybe someone who has done powder coating and vinyl will chime in..If i find anything out before hand i will let you know.,I will follow this post for my own reference as well..

• Like 1

Good info there Primal.  After doing a few of the pc yeti style mugs I ran into a string of several failures.  This gives me a much better understanding of what probably happened.

Cal

Thanks for the help!!! I ended up using a 3M product I had it didn't affect the powder coating and the vinyl stuck a lot better. 

Again Thanks for the quick response.

Attached are pic of one of the bottles (I made 35 with different names) and the cleaner I used..

Thanks

3M cleaner.jpg

IMG_1729.JPG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mel5 said:

What did you etch these what? Cream? 

Old post but most likely sand blast. 

Sand blasting wouldn't take it down to bare stainless?

On 1/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, haumana said:

Sand blasting wouldn't take it down to bare stainless?

Oh yeah it does it good. I do these from time to time. You can blast etch through about anything. I typically see the anodized aluminum but have etched all sorts of stuff with good results. The hardest thing so far was a porcelain tile which was hard enough I had to use real blast resist. Bottles and such vinyl works fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Oh yeah it does it good. I do these from time to time. You can blast etch through about anything. I typically see the anodized aluminum but have etched all sorts of stuff with good results. The hardest thing so far was a porcelain tile which was hard enough I had to use real blast resist. Bottles and such vinyl works fine. 

Nice! I borrowed a friend's sand blast cabinet so I could test it out, but trying to get the husband to dig out the air compressor from the storage shed is a completely different kind of challenge. It was easier and quicker to get a laser machine - although not very cost effective. Hahaha.

• Haha 1

This is a Dollar Tree aluminum water bottle I sandblasted a few years ago. 150 grit AO @ 45psi.   

JOBS 005 small.jpg

• Like 4