Sue2

Computer Back-up Programs

All this talk of computers dying, ransom-ware and storm damaged equipment has got me paranoid!

What I want is a program that will back-up all my files on the computer AND attached storage drives...

Continual back-up would be nice but, 2 to 4 times a day would be okay too.  Then, maybe once a week save a back-up of the back-up.

I would back-up everything locally to a 3-4 TB drive and feel fairly safe.

I use Carbonite already and it stores the computer hard drive files in the cloud....separate connected storage drives are not copied.

I store a ton of files on connected USB Storage drives that are from not very active customers.

I want some redundancy to make me feel safer.  Any recommendations?  

Thanks!

Sue2

I have been using pcloud for sharing and sending files and storing a few things ,But since my last portable hd drive failure i seen that they offer a much wider offering. I just bought the 1 year plan for a 2 tb setup for $95 a year (7.99 monthly) or you can pay like 9.99 a month. I only needed about 200 gb but i couldnt pass up the price for the 2tb.. it works from your computer and your phone, easy to use.  you can check out the free 20gb as a normal user if you want to see how it works,No money required etc,Just make sure you dont get the crypto when you try the free account otherwise they will want money or end up being a trial... Just get the free version... I like it alot.  i get 2 TB of storage space and 2 TB of download link traffic per month .

i will still use portable hard drives  just so i have them in hand,But the online cloud backup is nice also.

https://www.pcloud.com

I already have almost 1TB of files & graphics I need to keep safely backed-up...so I have ordered a 4TB drive for onsite back-ups.

That should be large enough to keep a back-up of the back-up.... plus whatever else I need to store.

Ever since my back-up drive failed I try to keep several back-ups in different locations....just in case.

Plus, if I accidentally write-over an original file, I can go to an earlier back-up and retrieve the original.

Now I'll be checking out ALLWay Sync and PCloud to see how they can make my back-ups seamless....

Thanks both of you for taking the time to help.

Sue2

• Like 1

I keep critical files manually backed up on multiple DVDs to protect from ransomware encryption which can quickly infect removable HDD and flash drives. Make sure that you use good quality media designed for long term storage and periodically make new backups since they can go bad over time.

I can't recommend any specific program since I prefer to do mine manually.

3 minutes ago, KYSIGN said:

I keep critical files manually backed up on multiple DVDs to protect from ransomware encryption which can quickly infect removable HDD and flash drives. Make sure that you use good quality media designed for long term storage and periodically make new backups since they can go bad over time.

I can't recommend any specific program since I prefer to do mine manually.

Thanks for the info...  If i were to use dvd's it would take a while to do.I thought about it tho...

Triple layer blu-ray can do 100gb each disc.  Still a pain when dealing with TB of stuff and not all that cheap.  As to ransomware, its good to have something not connected to the computer.  I keep my main 4tb backup drive offline until I use it.  This would defeat your need to have everything always backing up and connected.  If its connected ransomware can get to it.  Online backup works here, to counter ransomware, but has a cost.  I do things manually trying to avoid those costs.  Sucks if I don't stick to a schedule.

I though, don't yet have a bluray.  I want one, but super critical stuff I still send to dvd.  This is usually documents and created artwork but not collected clipart.

1 hour ago, dcbevins said:

Triple layer blu-ray can do 100gb each disc.  Still a pain when dealing with TB of stuff and not all that cheap.  As to ransomware, its good to have something not connected to the computer.  I keep my main 4tb backup drive offline until I use it.  This would defeat your need to have everything always backing up and connected.  If its connected ransomware can get to it.  Online backup works here, to counter ransomware, but has a cost.  I do things manually trying to avoid those costs.  Sucks if I don't stick to a schedule.

I though, don't yet have a bluray.  I want one, but super critical stuff I still send to dvd.  This is usually documents and created artwork but not collected clipart.

I guess that's why I am trying to keep a back-up of the back-up separately.....so EVERYTHING would not be lost/compromised.

And yes, I too have a hard time sticking to a set schedule.

Sue2