graphicssavvy

USCutter SC 801 question about settings for Oracal vinyl.?

I'm switching from the questionable vinyl that came as a sample with my USCutter SC 801 plotter to Oracal 651 "intermediate" vinyl. Can anyone tell me what speed and pressure settings they use for this new vinyl I am going to try? I can feel that the 651 is much thicker than the sample stuff so I would like some suggestions just so I don't waste a ton of time and vinyl trying to figure it out myself.

There is not any set in stone settings for force or speed.  Each vinyl cutter is different, even the same models.  You should at least set your blade correctly, and this is how:

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.  If your cutting detail or small text, cut slow.  Always cut slow until you learn your machine.   

• Like 1

Quick note ,.,That blade should be sticking out maybe less than a hair width or less. I have seen some people think that there should be a ton of blade exposed and thats not how it works on cutters.You will barely be able to feel that blade.

With my blade depth setting, i decided to bump it out a little further than required because i noticed that i still have some of the blade inside the holder not being used,so now i have about 1-2 hairs width more blade showing And i actually like how it cuts ..This is my way cause it works for me ,

*********  >  Very true like Mz Skeeter explained.Very rare to have to cutters end up with the same settings.... You could have the same cutter and there will be a 50% chance the settings will end up the same...You could be off a mm when setting your blade depth and that could make a difference of 10-30 etc or more on your pressure. As for speed i think it would be kinda close tho,unless i am wrong....The blade depth and pressure is where your golden numbers start at ,then speed = perfect clean cuts.  Get your pressure and blade depth set first and then worry about speed last...If your not getting your cuts deep enough to cut ,Your speed wont make a difference yet.

You will like the Oracal brand. I use 631,651,751 ..... ..  For when you do test cuts to get your settings dialed in just make your cuts as close as possible to the next test cut,that way you are only wasting a little. If your facing your cutter, have your cutter start on one end ( Starting point  )and work your way to the other side each time you test. You will only be wasting a few inches deep and basically a strip across as long as you get it dialed in quick....I dont know what your pressure starts at but start at a very low number,if it doesnt make a cut deep enough  bump it up by 5 or 10 each time.

What i did on my cutter when i first got it ,was if it didnt barely scratch the surface the first test cut, make a pressure adjustment and go back over it in the same spot.It wont hurt it.. Once you see or hear it cut into the backing paper you know your close and back it off. Atleast on my cutter i can hear when it hits the backing paper( I have a Titan 2).    

You came to the right place for info. lots of wisdom on here. I have learned 80% of what I kno on here. and prob 70% from @Primal Decals 

as both of them have already said, no 2 cutters are the same. but I guess it can be a starting point.

I have a sc cutter, I'm running speed at 300 and pressure depends. I go by how its cutting. The I watched a video on how to set the blade depth had me set the blade to where it would only cut threw 1 sheet of paper on a pack of sticky notes. then I adjust pressure from there. just as mentioned above u want it lightly cutting the backing.

• Like 1

Technically the 651 is going to be slightly thinner but tends to be a little stiffer. Good product though. The GS sample pack you got would be 3 mil and the 651 is 2.5 mil. Not enough to worry about resetting your blade. Even bouncing between 2 mil cast and 3 mil calendared is such a small margin that your initial blade set-up (if done correctly as noted by mz Skeeter above) should be fine. I would set up on the 3 mil cheap stuff and then your good to go. Pressure setting will drop as you go down to cast but probably won't change much between the 651 and GS. Every machine is a little different even within a given model. Chinese engineering is a little wonky sometimes and what is 100gr pressure on one can be something totally different on the next.