deftone

How to cut just the outline of 2 color font

How can I cut just the outline of a 2 color font so I can layer it. I want 2 cut out the black in solid vinyl and overlay the white. I'm using Flexistarter.  Please help! Thanks!

us.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Flexistarter.  I use Corel, which has an option to "convert to curves".  This converts it from text format to vector format.  I believe flexi calls this function "convert to outlines."

I found this on another forum referencing flexi, but I can't guarantee it is applicable to your version.  First select your text, then go to ARRANGE and select CONVERT TO OUTLINES.  From there you should be able to separate the white area from the black outline.

In ANY cutting program, when going to the cut screen you'll be offered a selection of different colors in your job (in this case, just black and white).

Just cut the black.

The "white" isn't actually a color. It's a one color font, with the "white" being whatever color the background is. I converted it to outlines, but it just makes each letter separate.  I still can't jut cut the outline.

I think I might just do  0.001 contour cut around it. I feel like that will work?? hahaha

It's a bit tricky to explain in text so attached is an example of the steps I'd use in Inkscape. I assume Flexi has similar abilities/tools.

bitmap.png

• Like 2

Thanks a lot!  I ended up breaking it apart and just manually selecting the parts I wanted to cut.  I wasn't too time consuming. Haha

• Like 1