Dakes2

EPS conversion problems

I am new to all this so go easy with me, I have bought a liyu 631e cutter that came with signcut, my problem is converting files to an eps format to use with signcut pro, I have used various online converters with not much luck, I copied a black and white jpg image from internet and loaded it into inkscape, so far so good, then converted image to path then save as an eps file, then tried to open it up in signcut but it wont load, next thing I did was to load the image again into inkscape then trace bitmap, then separate the two images and delete the bottom image, then I convert the image to path and save as eps file, then open up saved image in signcut and there it is, the only problem is the quality is bad, all the edges are jagged and not smooth, I was told on another forum that there is no need to trace the image , I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction on this

as you discovered it is not a matter of conversion but the image has to be digitized with tracing - with tracing a lot depends on the quality of the image you start with - if it is small and pixelated you will always have a jagged trace.   with most programs you can adjust the amount of smoothing it does to curves but many times you need to manually adjust the nodes - it takes time to learn to get a good image.  lots of good people on here to help and several or very good at redrawing the image in vector format for a fee - with most you pay on their skill level and expertise level and the final image is evident to what level the person is at when you zoom in and check their work.

take your time and keep adjusting settings and even learning to node edit - you will get there.  it is a whole different world than working with pixels like most people are used to working with  - with their raster pictures

I used SignCut exclusively up until a few years ago... reliable cutting program

but my experience was that it definitely preferred svg format vectors files.

• Like 1

With inkscape, once you trace the image and delete the raster image that is all that you need to do, there is no need to convert the vector image to paths as it is already a path. If you want to see what the cutter will cut you can view it in wireframe and that will show you the paths that the knife will follow.

I've not used Sign Cut, but skarekrow says it prefers SVG, which is what Inkscape works with natively so no need to save your file off as eps, just save it as an svg.

It can also be helpful to open your raster image in something like photoshop and clean it up there prior to tracing it. The closer you can get the raster image to a simple black and white image of high resolution, the better your auto-trace will be.

• Like 1

The Vectorizing Engine supplied with VinylMaster is superb.

Well worth the cost of purchasing the program at $60 if only just for that specific purpose.

• Like 1

I cant find that  for $60, I can only find basic at that price and it doesn't do tracing????

I agree with Skarekrow. I use SignCut Pro 1 daily. I happen to be an adobe guy but SignCut will read an SVG file so no need to "save as" eps. I think there is a plug-in for Inkscape that you can install too if you want that will give you a "send to SignCut" option right within Inkscape. I know there is one for AI and Corel.  

Your results will auto trace will usually be sub-par unless you spend some effort to prep the raster image beforehand. I typically hand trace or completely recreate most things I do but the aforementioned Scarecrow has a workflow in photoshop of cleaning up to a crisp black and white image then doing a trace to get better results. I have found his method to be super fast if you know your way around a raster editor like PS or Gimp and have used it myself from time to time. 

5 hours ago, Dakes2 said:

I cant find that  for $60, I can only find basic at that price and it doesn't do tracing????

Inkscape.org is very easy to use,  There are tons of tutorials,online as well as well as youtube.com videos on the subject..of vectoring in Inkscape.  As with any vector program, it takes learning the program.   Millions use inkscape, because it a great FREE vector program.   Any vector program will require you to clean the design up after vectoring it. That's just part of the process.  There are also other paid programs like Vector Magic. 

The Vinyl Master Cut4 purchased from UScutter does do tracing/vector conversion.  Please read the description  And it works with a Liyu SC vinyl cutter

http://www.uscutter.com/VinylMasterCut-Software-Value

This software will work with the following cutters: *

USCutter Series MH, SC, Laserpoint II

USCutter Series Table Titan, Titan, Titan 2 & Titan 3 requires the Titan Edition software available here.

Graphtec CE Series, FC Series

Mimaki CG Series

Roland GX Series

Summa D, FX ,T

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, got it all sorted now, been on the live chat with signcut guys and they showed me how to save the file in inkscape, its all perfect now

• Like 1