rastoma

Trying to make a sheriff's badge, would anyone mind helping?

I live in a really small town.  The local jail has had no signage on the front doors/windows since it was built over 15 years due to funds not in the budget for it.  So I wanted to help and offered to do some basic lettering basically for cost of materials.  And it would then get my foot in the door for things in the future such as t-shirts and things.  But I had to stick my foot in my mouth and said "yeah and to make it a look a little nicer I'll put a badge under the sheriff's name".  

I've almost got the design but not having used practically any graphics program extensively I'm having trouble.  I've been using Corel Draw.  I've attached what I've come up with.  I'm having trouble getting the star centered and touching in the circle and not sure how to flat everything so it cuts as one piece so I can then weed out the openings.  Or would this type of design need to be cut out in pieces and layered on top of each other after cutting and weeding?

Would anyone mind helping me with it?  Like I said I'm not making any profit on it.  

The image behind the star is the outline of the state of TN.  And I don't know why the stars are red.  I tried to change the color but can't.  The text I want to just weed out the letters so the glass is shown through the letters, unless it would indeed look better in black and then I could cut it separate and lay it on top of the badge.  I'll but cutting this out in either white or yellow.

sheriffs-badge.thumb.jpg.c560a0fea793bb5c976f6ba236cc3698.jpg

OK, I hope this is correct.  I have so many versions of this due to me redoing it, this one is slightly different but again, the main things I'm having trouble with is getting the points of the large inside star to touch at all points and getting it to be a flat file (is that the correct wording?) so that it cuts out as one design so I can then weed it.  The larger outside circle should be solid so that the text can be weeded out or I can cut the text separate.  The smaller inside circle should be solid.  I've attached a photo of the real badge that I'm using as a model.

Backup_of_sheriffs-badge.eps

sheriffs-badge-real-thing.jpg

Right now im re-doing your design by making copies of each thing you have in your design,,So far i see that your circles are NOT placed center of the image, That for one will make the one problem you have. Can you send the design to me ? I dont remember what software you cut with and design with.I probably know the answer , i just help so many people i cant keep track of what everyone uses lol...

Thank you so much for your help!!

I haven't used any cutting programs yet as I was trying to design it in CorelDraw first.  So the only files I have are the .cdr files.  I'll attach one of those if it will help.  I primarily use SCALP but I also have VinylMaster Cut, to actually cut with.  I thought I would design it in CD then save as a PDF or some other file type to import into SCALP.

Backup_of_sheriffs-badge.cdr

well ill post what i have as a jpeg .If the lines of the circle are to big let me know , But you have to remember that to thin (In my opinion will vanish in the design,so i made them a little thicker, but easy to change.. The only thing i havent done is join or merge anything and added the lettering.which you can if you know how.otherwise i can do it.. ,So everything is on its own.. This is just a preview ..  one sec......

Also are you going to have the star a different color when you cut it out or will it be black as well.If there is going to be different colors , then you need to either make the star just a little smaller than the circle or have it layer over the black lines,,,Let me know on this as well...

Here's two versions depending on the final size you want to make.  A more complex one for larger applications, and a simplified one for smaller stuff.

If you ever want to change out the title on the badge, the font in your pic of the real badge appears to be something in the helvetica family.  I used helvetica inserat, which is a bit more bold than in the pic, but it's what I had in my font library.

MCSO Badge.jpg

MCSO Badge Simple.jpg

MCSO Badge.svg

MCSO Badge Simple.svg

• Like 4

WOW!  Huge thanks to all of you... Sue, Primal and TenFour!  I really appreciate ALL of you for helping me like this.  All of your designs are something I can use and all are perfect.