New User and first time posting.

I purchased a small cutter and Siser easy weed vinyl.  I  made a 2 color logo design and heat pressed onto fabric, the fabric was then stitched onto a mascot costume.

I did a full yellow under and outlining the navy blue letters. Heat press at 315 degrees for 15 seconds.

We are only 6 weeks into the season and my vinyl letters are peeling off. 

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

use an ir thermometer on your heat press to check temp accuracy and if it is consistant across the platen - many time this can be traced to temp, pressure issues 

been a while but have seen an issue to with retail bought shirts that have a "sizing" startch like substance on them to make them display better int he store . . .  just another thought and the reason most of us buy wholesale shirts

• Like 2

Besides checking the temp,Also make sure the fabric your pressing onto is made to work for the Siser vinyl you are using .

Also what press are you using as well?

If the rest of the costume can handle the heat you can probably re-press it. I agree with the general consensus. Many heat presses are off. Even my $2000 Fusion was off 40 deg so that is the most likely culprit. Second most likely is uneven pressure. It doesn't take much to hold part of the platen up off the cloth. A thick seam or a pocket will do it, I keep a few press pillows around for such occasions.  Third would be something on the garment although rare there are plenty that have stain guard and that is a natural adhesive repellent. Finally there have been a few HTV failures but those are rare. I have had one or two rolls that had an issue and those were apparent at the time of the build. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I have a no name heat press that I ordered on ebay & it came from China?? I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived that it was sturdy. I have been happy with its performance on t-shirts. Digital temp. readout but manual pressure knob.  I will look into an IR thermometer.:)

I admit that I am not sure of the fabric content. It was a piece of outdoor fabric left from another project, should be 100% polyester. I did prewash and dry for shrinkage first before using. I build mascot characters and I'm using the vinyl letters as a logo, nameplate, and numbers on a jersey so I wanted a  white layer between the jersey and vinyl.

As I stated above it was 2 layers. I pressed the first layer down for a few seconds to hold in place and then added the second layer and pressed for 15 seconds. Is that enough time to go through two layers?  Also, can you overheat vinyl?  I just don't know..... 

14 hours ago, Janie Marconi said:

Thanks for the replies.

I have a no name heat press that I ordered on ebay & it came from China?? I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived that it was sturdy. I have been happy with its performance on t-shirts. Digital temp. readout but manual pressure knob.  I will look into an IR thermometer.:)

I admit that I am not sure of the fabric content. It was a piece of outdoor fabric left from another project, should be 100% polyester. I did prewash and dry for shrinkage first before using. I build mascot characters and I'm using the vinyl letters as a logo, nameplate, and numbers on a jersey so I wanted a  white layer between the jersey and vinyl.

As I stated above it was 2 layers. I pressed the first layer down for a few seconds to hold in place and then added the second layer and pressed for 15 seconds. Is that enough time to go through two layers?  Also, can you overheat vinyl?  I just don't know..... 

Siser stacks just fine and the 2-3 second fist layer and full length second press are correct. Be sure that you aren't using nylon. Nylon is the devil. There are special HTV adhesives specifically for it and regular vinyl will just fall off. 

• Like 2

with the description I wonder if the fabric had water proofing on it that would make the htv not adhere

• Like 2

Thanks again everyone,

I had decided also, the white fabric that I used as a mount, was probably to blame for the failure. It definitely was outdoor fabric, so probably scotch guarded.

Good to learn about nylon fabric not adhering early in the game before I have another crisis;)

I will check back after remaking to let you know how I make out.

• Like 1

Definitely check your temp first because most of the time that is the cause. Especially with the chinese machines, they just don't have accurate gauges. If you find yours is low you can simply re-press it and it will be fine. By low I mean more than 10 degrees. A good rule of thumb is to be able to see the cloth pattern in the HTV to know you have good adhesion. This does not hold true however for the stretch variant of Siser Easyweed but all there regular easy weed you can usually see the pattern from behind and it gives you a good warm fuzzy that you got it right. 

• Like 1

Hello All,

So I made new nameplates and numbers on polyester fabric and attached to the mascot jersey.

Got a call saying that there was a problem again. This time only 1 of the 3 plates was peeling.I used a home iron to put back into place as a temporary fix.

Ran out and purchased an infrared thermometer. Found that my displayed temperature was about 15 degrees lower than actual temp.

So has anyone ever experienced over cooking the vinyl?  My guess is that the first one got overheated. Then as I continued to work the temp went down during the process of making several pieces.

47 minutes ago, Janie Marconi said:

Hello All,

So I made new nameplates and numbers on polyester fabric and attached to the mascot jersey.

Got a call saying that there was a problem again. This time only 1 of the 3 plates was peeling.I used a home iron to put back into place as a temporary fix.

Ran out and purchased an infrared thermometer. Found that my displayed temperature was about 15 degrees lower than actual temp.

So has anyone ever experienced over cooking the vinyl?  My guess is that the first one got overheated. Then as I continued to work the temp went down during the process of making several pieces.

Very hard to get a good time and temp and pressure with an iron  - usually people move an iron around and it varies the temp and pressure during that time = the reason they have presses

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Very hard to get a good time and temp and pressure with an iron  - usually people move an iron around and it varies the temp = the reason they have presses

Very true, An iron is not the way to produce a product that i would ever sell. Very UN-reliable for pressing ,They need a certain amount of pressure to make the material bond to your product.  Failing products = Bad business= no sells and bad name = Business closed .

1 hour ago, Janie Marconi said:

Hello All,

Got a call saying that there was a problem again. This time only 1 of the 3 plates was peeling. I used a home iron to put back into place as a temporary fix.

Easy guys....she said she only used the iron as a quick fix.

Sue2

• Like 1

Janie, I have never had a failure from overheating although I suppose it's possible. I HAVE seen the adhesive squish out around the edges from overheat/over pressure. Did not cause a fail but it was visible to my trained eye. ;) The customer did not know any better and it was just the first shirt in the set. I had been doing high pressure high heat and forgot to reset my machine. I have actually tried to kill Siser easyweed by way overcooking it and it still held up. May have effected the overall lifespan but it was a test piece and not something that got put into actual use.  

• Like 1