Sign in to follow this  
Sue2

Wide Format Print Source?

My 12 year old HP wide format DesignJet printer is down and we are waiting on parts/repair quote.

Can anyone recommend a good wholesale supplier for prints, mostly we use adhesive

backed vinyl and apply to coroplast or foamcore for medium/small indoor & outdoor signs.

Occasionally I need some simple paper prints on a heavy weight stock.

They don't have to be fine-arts quality...just good prints.

ALSO, depending on the repair estimate, I may be looking to replace the printer...

what's out there that is similar?

We don't need one with 10-12 inks....the 6 we have now is plenty for the type of

prints we provide.  We have been using the aqueous UV inks.

TIA...Sue2

if you replace it - replace it with inks made for outdoors like the HP from uscutter for around $7200 - or a roland sp series is nice and no special wiring needed - the true outdoor UV ink printers are more in the $35-40K range - it is UV cured outdoor ink and not ink that is uv resistant water based like the other units 

hopefully you can get parts - I have ordered parts for a 8 year old roland and they always have the parts - that is the biggest problem with the Mutoh - after a couple of years getting parts is tough - and heard the same on the HP latex

We aren't a sign shop...this is an add-on to our print/copy business.

We have managed to get by with the aqueous prints by covering the outdoor stuff with a UV Laminate.

Holds up well....the imprint colors outlast the coroplast substrate.  

Attached is a picture of a sign I printed up and only put the UV laminate on the top half.

The sign was out in the full sun and weather for 3 years.  The UV laminate really did its job.Sign_Fading_Sample.thumb.jpg.50962654ed052a129a27c760b1958a60.jpg

• Like 1

Just saying if you replace it the solvent or latex - no lam and cheaper media - but I also sell quality  and main business is decals and signs