bunger

Import from Illustrator

I have been struggling to get an image into VM Cut for over 45 minutes and need a little guidance.

Using Illustrator CC and trial version of VM Cut and the image is a 3 color image:  black, green, blue.

I have tried to import the image in various formats:

AI:  drops some portions of the colors.  for example, I have a blue lightening bolt outlined in green.  It completely drops the green outline.

SVG:  drops all color altogether and thinks the entire image is just green

EPS:  changes some of the green color to gray, but keeps other green as green.  For example, the green lightening bolt outline is presenting itself as gray in the Send to be Cut screen

Needless to say, I am a bit frustrated.  Is there an "official" format/import process that should work consistently between Illustrator and VM Cut?

Guest Future Support

Try exporting as adobe illustrator version 8

2 hours ago, Guest Future Support said:

Try exporting as adobe illustrator version 8

I just tried this and it also didn't work.... actually, it dropped most of the colors and distorted some of the existing paths...

When I import your file into my Flexi software.  I get a message that says there are 2 pages to this file....  I never have seen that before. 

problem file.JPG

This is what it looks like when I open it with Inkscape, is that correct? You are going to be cutting this, correct? If so there are a few things I'd suggest changing to make laying easier.

First the green outline around the B. Rather than an outline make it a solid background, minus the white holes. Once you've done this, you can delete the green portions inside the lightning bolt. Next you'll need to adjust the blue portion to leave a gap between the B so that the green will show through.

Here is how I would configure the file for cutting.

Also, FYI, your green outlines were strokes and as such would not cut how the look. Strokes are a single line, in order for them to cut as they look you need to convert the stroke to a path.

lastly, I would also recommend a green outline for the white cutouts of the B. To me it just doesn't look right with green online every place else.

Capture.PNG

BclawZ.eps

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

This is what it looks like when I open it with Inkscape, is that correct? You are going to be cutting this, correct? If so there are a few things I'd suggest changing to make laying easier.

First the green outline around the B. Rather than an outline make it a solid background, minus the white holes. Once you've done this, you can delete the green portions inside the lightning bolt. Next you'll need to adjust the blue portion to leave a gap between the B so that the green will show through.

Here is how I would configure the file for cutting.

Also, FYI, your green outlines were strokes and as such would not cut how the look. Strokes are a single line, in order for them to cut as they look you need to convert the stroke to a path.

lastly, I would also recommend a green outline for the white cutouts of the B. To me it just doesn't look right with green online every place else.

----

Thanks for the feedback!

Just out of curiosity, why would you convert it to a green background instead of the way it is current designed?  

And that eps looks fantastic!

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I imported and exported the 1st page, and here is the 1st page  Try it.

B_BOLT.eps

Sweet mother, that works perfect.   What did you change or do differently?

25 minutes ago, bunger said:

Sweet mother, that works perfect.   What did you change or do differently?

Like I said The file said 2 pages.  The 2nd page stated error....   I did not do anything, except export the 1st page back out.  And did not do anything with the 2nd page. You did not get the 2nd page with the file I gave you, which was probably your problem. 

26 minutes ago, bunger said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Just out of curiosity, why would you convert it to a green background instead of the way it is current designed?  

And that eps looks fantastic!

Layering the black and blue over the green is much easier than trying to cut an outline and get it to line up perfect.

Your second page error could be something simple like having multiple artboards within the AI file. Downsaving as AI8 should have dealt with that but maybe not. Most cutting utilities can't handle the complexities of the newer design files in Illustrator and require the files to be saved as older "legacy" versions. AI version 8 is the most typical choice but I have seen some that want it in AI 3. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.