MrJoel

Laminated printed 5500 3m reflective...cut successfully

Our little niche is strictly reflective decals.  I've been playing around the past 2 days on settings with just the 45° blade.  I can cut 5 mil 5500 in one pass at 450g downforce at a speed of 200.  The laminated and printed stuff is quite the challenge but at 375g and two passes at a speed of 300 rocks the cut pretty good.  I'll get this batch cut and then switch over to the 60 as some of the intricate details are not quite as clean as I'd like...really good but just not quite where I want them!

I worked at a place once upon a time that made a pile of dough doing reflective decals for a coal mine.  It was printed and cut on a Roland Print Cut machine onto white reflective adhesive vinyl.  Also, plain cut vinyl on reflective aluminum plates.  They needed all sorts of exit signs, something called a "Man Door" sign.  Road signs, (stop, speed limit, ect), vehicle identification numbers, machinery operation instructions and safety warnings and so on.  They liked hard hat decals that were reflective, but it wasn't as much money in that.  We also did corporate stuff for them, like embroidered polo's and hats.  One of the challenges was interfacing with their purchasing order system.  Everything had to have a unique code.

Just thought I'd mention it, if your in that niche and can find some underground operation like a mine to approach, it could be sweet.

Brilliant and we are in kentucky...unfortunately most of the coal mines have shut down.  During the day I do fleet installs and wrap, during the rest of the day I am in seminary, then the rest of the day...well, we are raising up hard working boys that like to have fun making a little spending cash.  The key to vinyl seems to be finding a niche for the part time guys doing this...oh and free labor (not factoring in the amount of food those little laborers take in right now...ouch my wallet just screamed again)

• Like 1

The place I used to live and work was in Belfry KY, next to Williamson.  It was Massey Coal.  The key to everything seems to be finding your niche.

• Like 1