Slvrfx

Machine stopped mid cut...

I'm making a 24"x36" decal and about a quarter of the way into it, the machine just stopped. I waited to see if it would resume but wouldnt. On the machine screen it still says "now is cutting" and on the vinyl spooler screen on the computer it says "waiting to send"...

I pressed reset and tried it again and it stopped in the same spot again. I don't think is a memory issue because I've made bigger decals than this before. 

Any advice?

20170528_183929.jpg

Hello,

which machine and software are you using? Also - are you connected thru Serial or USB?

USB to my laptop and I'm using the uscutter laser point 2 with vinyl master cut 

Thanks -others will chime in with that software, but I would try cutting simple shape files-- if it completes them, then:

Try the serial cord if the plotter came with one.  If so I would try that. - hopefully your computer ( or docking station) has a serial port. (if not check out keyspan adaptor).

I understand you may not think its memory related...but memory is a common cause of your description - but worth a shot on the serial port. Serial typically allows a give and take relationship  (CTS, RTS commands) for the file size.

Or look at your file in wireframe- a trace may have loaded it up with tons of nodes- some software may allow you to reduce the number of points- thus make the file smaller ( I think).

OK I think it was the nodes. I took the entire image and grouped it together (which I think reduces nodes) and did a dry cut (no blade, no vinyl) and it made it through the whole cut? You think I'm good to add vinyl and put blade back in? 

OK it went through the the entire cut with no vinyl or blade and when I put vinyl and blade back in, it stopped again. This time making it further than before but another 3 feet wasted 

sorry to hear that... I would try what Slice said above.

Also since it stopped during cutting, and NOT on a dry run ---it may have some have trouble with static- is your area a dry climate, ( below 40%) humidity?  When the blade touched down, it may have been static from the vinyl  ( I know it may sound strange.

Some run dryer sheets in the tube, wipe the vinyl down with them, add a ground cable from cutter to stand, run a grounded thin cable across the roll .... there are some other posts on static topic.

No humidity here. Imy in AZ and there's not even any moisture on the forecast. Only dry heat. Imy doing anot her test now with the vinyl in but still no blade to see what happens. If it makes it through I'll try the dryer sheet trick. I'm running out of black vinyl lol. And I told the guy I'd have it for him tomorrow:( 

OK I wiped everything down with dryer sheets and stuffEd them in the tube, running it with blade now :/ 

So as far as grounding the machine, all I have to do is run a wire from the ground post on bottom of machine to somewhere on the stand? 

11 minutes ago, Slvrfx said:

So as far as grounding the machine, all I have to do is run a wire from the ground post on bottom of machine to somewhere on the stand? 

What I did when i had a similar cutter, ran an automotive 12 or 14 GA wire attached to existing screw- to another screw on the stand.(sanded away paint for good contact) - also I bought an aquarium grounding probe- it plugs into the wall outlet, and i use to to ground myself before touching the machines ( running vinyl cutters, and printers). I get a discharge almost every time before i touch the machines :)  LOL 

We both live in dry states. and static hurts electronics

Here is the one UScutter sells. 

http://www.uscutter.com/Anti-Static-Kit-for-Vinyl-Cutters

So the total job is 244 kb and it got all the way up to 200 kb and stopped ahhhhhh

so frustrating-- besides serial cable and reducing static - i am out of ideas- perhaps someone else will chime in

if it completes with a pen but not with a blade than that is a strong indication you are still dealing with a static issue.  the problem with the value units are the cutter is grounded thru the plug but the stand is insulated from the cutter by rubber feet and paint on metal parts - static builds up in the vinyl roll until it discharges thru the cutter head causing a error  - - - -you said you grounded the stand to the cutter so that should have covered that as long as the rollers the vinyl sits on are not painted etc.  if you are the original owner I would call support tuesday to have them troubleshoot.
on memory - as you discovered nodes are more the culprit than actual size as vector graphics use a mathmatical system to plot the course - the file size of the same circle cut at 1" is  the same size as when it is cut at 30" - - - - - -

7 hours ago, Slvrfx said:

Where do I go to see the copam driver?

Cutter setup.

You haven't indicated to us whether you've been using SBE now during these (failed) runs, or continue to utilize VM.

My guess at this point is a single STRAY NODE. Post the file here so we can determine the integrity of your work.

9 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

if it completes with a pen but not with a blade than that is a strong indication you are still dealing with a static issue.  the problem with the value units are the cutter is grounded thru the plug but the stand is insulated from the cutter by rubber feet and paint on metal parts - static builds up in the vinyl roll until it discharges thru the cutter head causing a error  - - - -you said you grounded the stand to the cutter so that should have covered that as long as the rollers the vinyl sits on are not painted etc.  if you are the original owner I would call support tuesday to have them troubleshoot.
on memory - as you discovered nodes are more the culprit than actual size as vector graphics use a mathmatical system to plot the course - the file size of the same circle cut at 1" is  the same size as when it is cut at 30" - - - - - -

No I haven't ran a ground yet from machine to frame. I'll do that today.

See what's weird is I'm have two different symptoms, one of which sounds like static and one that sounds like memory. The static thought comes from it running the entire cut without a blade but then not doing it with a blade...

The memory thought comes from how the computer sends the data to the machine. It will send it with a progress bar. On large decals, it always seemsto start sending the data, then pop up and say "waiting to send..." but then after the machine catches up, the progress bar will resume. But it seems like on really bug decals, like this one, it will start sending data to the machine, then get to that point where it pauses and says "waiting to send..." but instead of resuming when the machine catches up, the machine just stops cause it's waiting for the computer to send it but it doesn't resume so I have to click cancel and then click "abort transmission..."

I'll try the ground wire today and then if that doesno help, how do I go about adding memory (or ram)? 

4 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Cutter setup.

You haven't indicated to us whether you've been using SBE now during these (failed) runs, or continue to utilize VM.

My guess at this point is a single STRAY NODE. Post the file here so we can determine the integrity of your work.

What's SBE? Sorry I'm not too up to date with terms, I just know how to make the designs, load the vinyl and press cut lol. 

Those value cutters should always be grounded cutter to stand... like they stated... Many Many people get a Tripp Lite Keyspan Adapter, (that is the brand name)  It has much better control of sending the data.   This is what you want below   Don't go buying some other USB to Serial cable. They just won't work with a vinyl cutter.  The value cutters have a cheap Chinese usb chip,  not like the higher end cutters which have a TRUE USB in them and are much better.  Higher end cutters don't have the problems you are experiencing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-A-to-Serial-Adapter-PC-Mac-USA-19HS-/381043274282?hash=item58b7f2f22a:g:C9gAAMXQBlJSA-p~

SBE   is a FREE unlimited design and cutting software.   Slice is just trying to see if the glitch might be Vinyl Master, so he wants you to try another cutting software. 

• Like 1

OK awesome thanks for the info. Im gonna ground it after work today and see if it will cut thay whole design. I'll also look into getting that cable. 

Do you happen to have a link to where I can download the SBE. I looked but I'm not sire exactly what to click