Sign in to follow this  
RyanMKX

Any trademark experts in here?

I have a guy with a trademark " I Just Want To " 

I have some clothing with sayings like "I Just Want To Sleep In"  I Just Want To Drink Beer And Fish"

He contacted me and said I can't use anything that starts with "I Just Want To" 

Is this ok for him to claim any saying that includes his mark?    

Not sure how this trademark stuff works for things such as this. Thanks.  

I am not an expert, but here is a screenshot of filed trademarks -I see ten-- I don't see one that says "I just want to" by itself. Its a pretty generic term.

• Like 1

many times it comes down to how much money do you want to spend to defend your position not what is right or wrong

• Like 1

There are a lot of recorded trademarks in the search Jburns did. I think I would believe them. Did you ask if they would sell you a license?

JUST WANT TO DRINK COFFEE SAVE ANIMALS AND TAKE NAPS"   Different person registered this. 

I JUST WANT TO DRINK COFFEE & MAKE PRETTY THINGS     Different person registered this.

I JUST WANT TO RIDE BIKES WITH YOU  Different person registered this.

I JUST WANT TO GET IT WET   Different person registered this.

How is he able to claim "I Just Want To" when the trademark office is allowing others to use the term on their marks? 

I think the guy that contacted me is trying to bully me for his own gain. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RyanMKX said:

I think the guy that contacted me is trying to bully me for his own gain. 

Entirely possible.

I'm certainly no Trademark Expert but, There is some pertinent info here and seems to indicate

his TM of the term "I just want to" is pretty weak considering the other marks that include (and Pre-Date?) it .

This could make his weak mark difficult and costly to try to police and protect as it simply does not have

the same legal protections of a stronger and more distinctive mark.

Not so sure I'd back down too quickly if I were in your shoes... Maybe wait on something more official

than just his Bully Letter (?). Also, take into consideration how much your Phrase Shirts are bringing in

as opposed to what Legal fees might be incurred.

Perhaps try and Trademark one of your Phrases?

• Like 5

Okay, so...there are state trademarks and there are federal trademarks.   You can get a state trademark for under $200 usually.    If your line has brought in some cash, try to trademark the saying in your state, see if it gets rejected or if you get it.  However, there are alot of rules and regulations when it comes to trademarks.  I dont believe that phrase can be trademarked because it's too generic.    Think about it...have you ever read a book, or seen something in TV where someone says ...i just want to go to sleep, or I just want to drink a beer, etc.  He's not getting paid when they say that.   It's too generic.   Ask him if it's a state or federal trademark and ask him to see it so your lawyer can examine it (you're lying here but he doesn't have to know that).   I would call his bluff, but be nice about it.