mwardncsu

issue importing AI file with Text into SCALP3

New Titan3 & Sure Cuts A Lot Pro user here.... running Adobe CC and SCALP3 on a Mac.

I have a logo designed in Adobe Illustrator CC which I am having issues importing   The design has a vector graphic as well as text.   When I import the AI file into SCALP 3, I get the vector graphic but not the text - including no bounding boxes where the text would be.

I can pull in an exported PNG file, but the scaling is way off (I assume due to the dpi setting of the export).

If I export as an SVG from AI and import into SCALP3, the drawing comes in along with some bounding boxes for the text, but no text traces.

I installed the AI plug-in and send the file to SCALP3 via the AI script and the image comes in as above with the SVG file.

Are some special settings or properties needed on the AI file side before exporting?  I could just use the PNG route but some of these are multi-color and it would be a lot easier to pull straight in vs. having to rescale and ensure all layers are the right size, especially as I will be packing multiple copies of a given color layer together to save wasted vinyl.

On a related now - I see there is a V4 of SCALP avail - I just recently purchased by Titan 3 - should i have received V4?  Are there benefits to V4?   

Also - as I do my design in AI and Photoshop by and large, are there benefits to SignCut Pro over SCALP?

thanks!

Don't use SCALP but, perhaps it's because the text in Ai is still Live?

Try Selecting the Text and Object>Expand before Exporting.

Just know that the Text in Ai will no longer be editable as text.

I tend to save a a copy of the Live text with my Ai files and expand the

Copy to have the ability (if needed) to manipulate as Text at a later date.

• Like 1

I used SignCut for a few years... Great Cutting Program.

Left it for VinylMaster Pro... An even Better Cutting AND Design

Software, IMO.

32 minutes ago, skarekrow said:

Try Selecting the Text and Object>Expand before Exporting.

thanks - I will give that a shot this evening and see.....

1 hour ago, mwardncsu said:

New Titan3 & Sure Cuts A Lot Pro user here.... running Adobe CC and SCALP3 on a Mac.

I have a logo designed in Adobe Illustrator CC which I am having issues importing   The design has a vector graphic as well as text.   When I import the AI file into SCALP 3, I get the vector graphic but not the text - including no bounding boxes where the text would be.

I can pull in an exported PNG file, but the scaling is way off (I assume due to the dpi setting of the export).

If I export as an SVG from AI and import into SCALP3, the drawing comes in along with some bounding boxes for the text, but no text traces.

I installed the AI plug-in and send the file to SCALP3 via the AI script and the image comes in as above with the SVG file.

Are some special settings or properties needed on the AI file side before exporting?  I could just use the PNG route but some of these are multi-color and it would be a lot easier to pull straight in vs. having to rescale and ensure all layers are the right size, especially as I will be packing multiple copies of a given color layer together to save wasted vinyl.

On a related now - I see there is a V4 of SCALP avail - I just recently purchased by Titan 3 - should i have received V4?  Are there benefits to V4?   

Also - as I do my design in AI and Photoshop by and large, are there benefits to SignCut Pro over SCALP?

thanks!

I read someplace here that you can message the makers of SCALP and they may upgrade for free, since you just got your cutter.  OR worse case scenario you would have to pay the $50 to upgrade to v4.  Worth it IMO.  I'm still learning how to use AI myself, but there is something you're supposed to do with the text, make it a path or something like that prior to exporting.  

1 hour ago, skarekrow said:

I used SignCut for a few years... Great Cutting Program.

Left it for VinylMaster Pro... An even Better Cutting AND Design

Software, IMO.

I've been hearing really good things about VMP, and considering to make the jump end of the year or sooner if I have a good summer season.

mwardscu - I concur with the above. Select your text and create outlines before taking it to SCALP will fix you up. This turns the live text to an object at that point. If I recall correctly SCALP cuts text directly within it's working network but that won't transfer over from imported files. I was never a huge fan of SCALP to tell the truth but it IS mac compatible and many of the other offerings are not. SignCut Pro mentioned by Skarekrow is my tool of choice for cutting since it is mac compatible and has all the fancy cutting tools you find in the upper level design software. Not trying to talk you into anything or out of your SCALP just pointing out the options should you look for other solutions.

If you want to see how i use scalps and ai let me know, i cant setup a live feed for you to watch and we can chat on the phone at the same time..Its easier than you think when using the 2 together.

• Like 1

It looks like the "Create Outlines" was indeed the trick - thanks to all for the tip.

Primal Decals - I may take you up on your kind offer at some point in the near future..... getting my hand around everything at the moment....

• Like 2