MrJoel

Completely lost, pattern cutting to specific size

Hey guys, I've designed a pattern that is oversized from the size I want the final product to cut at.  Basically I want whatever fits in the mat size to cut with a boarder cut around the box.  How do I cut off the excess?

Huh?  Now you've completely lost poor little me, so can you explain this concern of yours better?

I have a continuous pattern, say zebra stripe or honey comb but simply want to cut out a square that is 10"x8" and a bounding box around that.

What software are you using?  In vector software, there are boolean operations one can do on shapes.  They are often named differently.  CorelDraw calls them Shaping tools.  Illustrator calls them Pathfinder.  I think Inkscape calls them boolean tools.

If you make a rectangle, say 10x8 like you suggested.  Place it over the pattern, you should be able to use one of those boolean operations to cut out the shape, (think cookie cutter.)  It might be called intersection, or trim depending.

It might be that you mean something totally different, but that seems what your asking.

I am using either Inkscape (haven't used it in about 7 years so most of that needs to be relearned) or sure cuts a lot 3 pro that was included with the laserpoint 2 for my mac.  I'll take a look at the above video, thanks!