MrJoel

Plotter suggestions wanted

Ok guys (and gals),

I am looking to expand my side business (I'm a full time grad student, part time wrap installer, and I started this  as a way to help my boys, both with Down syndrome, to learn a work ethic and to help pay for some extra services they need.  Everything we do is with 3m 5100 series reflective and I want to take over the cutting that is currently subbed out.  Budget is a huge concern and I almost pulled the trigger a couple times on a 28" SC (I do have a mac) but I know how quite the servo motors are in comparison (sensory issues with the boys and the ability to cut after they go to sleep) and I'm basically wondering if I should wait to see if a 28" Titan 2 pops up in the refurbished section... that would really stretch the budget next month but would it be worth it?

welcome,

I see that the material is 7mil, and reflective can be demanding long term on machines.. I think you are correct to go the servo route. If these are for vehicles, long lengths etc in reflective- the certainly  a used (checked) Graphtec FC or other similar Roland Camm-1 would be suited/ made for those jobs.. you want the long cuts to be clean, tracked well and closed.

Remember that your blades will suffer deterioration rather quickly as they rip through the metallic crystals embedded in the material. You'll be going through a lot of 'em, so have a good supply on hand.

"Budget is a huge concern" = LPII will be fine, it's not anywhere as loud as the SC or MH, and there's a sale for $330. (no stand).http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter  ((( Add just $100. for the stand and accessory catch-basket )))

• Like 1

I havent cut any reflective yet, but i have cut some thick camo stuff and wrap material using my titan 2 28",I just love that cutter, Like they stated earlier, cutting reflective will run thru a blade faster for sure.Im still on my 1 st blade i started with 2 years ago and still cuts awesome..And the Titan2 is a very very quiet and accurate . Also check out other options for cutting software as well if your curious ask me about what i use in a Pm please to avoid a long message . Its just my own opinion lol.. Here is my website to see some of the stuff ive done pippindecals.com.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Remember that your blades will suffer deterioration rather quickly as they rip through the metallic crystals embedded in the material. You'll be going through a lot of 'em, so have a good supply on hand.

"Budget is a huge concern" = LPII will be fine, it's not anywhere as loud as the SC or MH, and there's a sale for $330. (no stand).http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter  ((( Add just $100. for the stand and accessory catch-basket )))

Got it on eBay with the stand for $379!  The longest we run is 72" and the downforce seemed good.  Any suggestions for some 60° blades?  It's been 7 years since I've cut anything...brushing off the ole Inkscape skills right now.

• Like 2