amaterasu

Help me weed this?

Hi, I need to make 100 stickers of this design. Weeding it is a nightmare, especially the small stuff around the shield. The sticker is 57*12 CM.

Any tips on how to make it weed better? I tried lowering the pressure setting on my cutter to 280 but that didn't help.

5918cf9184e6e_Skjermbilde2017-05-14kl_21_13_07.thumb.png.74be2250e321db9b1e73b6de1ccaaff2.png

Alter the design so it's not 'open' like that.

Also, there's no such website.

44 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Alter the design so it's not 'open' like that.

Also, there's no such website.

They dont have a website yet, they are going to make a new one, I just made the logo, but I didn't know it would be almost impossible to weed .

Do you mean alter the design like this? The hardest part is weeding the small stuff around the shield. This wont help with that5918dc246d8ed_Skjermbilde2017-05-15kl_00_36_12.thumb.png.3d8513b48575710f2032c09e3b477cea.png 

I am assuming you are showing this in wore frame mode? 57cm is like 22 inches. You must have something set off if it's giving you troubles at that size. If I have a job with small details that I know are going to be more "fun" I switch and use higher end vinyl like Oracal 751 and it makes a lot of difference. Generally the time saved in weeding issues more than makes up for the cost in vinyl. They last longer too. 

Fine details are one of the areas that higher end cutters shine. 

14 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

I am assuming you are showing this in wore frame mode? 57cm is like 22 inches. You must have something set off if it's giving you troubles at that size. If I have a job with small details that I know are going to be more "fun" I switch and use higher end vinyl like Oracal 751 and it makes a lot of difference. Generally the time saved in weeding issues more than makes up for the cost in vinyl. They last longer too. 

Fine details are one of the areas that higher end cutters shine. 

Correct, this is how it looks like. I have a Chinese cutter. I already ordered 651 in 3 different colors, as he wants 33 stickers in each 3 colors. So Im going to use 651 for this job and then switch over to 751. What could I have sett off? "Trouble" is a big understatement5918e148e5332_Skjermbilde2017-05-15kl_00_58_53.thumb.png.4156037cc2884dd476d9655ecec0910b.pngI

Doesn't your cutting software have some weeding lines feature that would help you?  Also an exacto knife  #11 blade is your friend.  That and sewing needles...are what I use.

It looks like your just ripping the excess vinyl off.  I also use  the eraser end of a pencil to hold down small parts....Patience.  You should have tried the job first before, agreeing to do it.  To me that is not hard..I do stuff like that all the time,,,My niche' is very detailed designs.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Doesn't your cutting software have some weeding lines feature that would help you?  Also an exacto knife  #11 blade is your friend.  That and sewing needles...are what I use.

It looks like your just ripping the excess vinyl off.  I also use  the eraser end of a pencil to hold down small parts....Patience.  You should have tried the job first before, agreeing to do it.  To me that is not hard..I do stuff like that all the time,,,My niche' is very detailed designs.   

I do that too, I press it down with the weeding tool I use, and it usually works, but this time, Im having some real trouble. 

Try putting the transfer tape on before you weed, remove from backing paper and then weed and put back on the paper. Reverse weeding, if you will

• Like 1

also wondering why you lowered the force?  Maybe now it is not cutting as well, and making you lift the parts with the excess vinyl.. 

2 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

Try putting the transfer tape on before you weed, remove from backing paper and then weed and put back on the paper. Reverse weeding, if you will

This this would be a good approach also---I used this method when doing hobby / RC car items

Something else to keep in mind with vinyl,   don't cut up a bunch of decals ahead,  only cut what you can weed soon, as the cuts will actually self heal themselves,  then you will have a lot of problems,,   

• Like 2

While that design is not the easiest, it shouldn't be too hard and with the amount of trouble you're having I would suspect you don't have your blade depth, and/or pressure set exact enough.

Going back and adding in some cut lines could help a great deal as well. A cut line where the steam of the leaves would be would help quite a bit I think.

18 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

This didn't work for me

18 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

also wondering why you lowered the force?  Maybe now it is not cutting as well, and making you lift the parts with the excess vinyl.. 

I read somewhere that using too much pressure might push the excess vinyl down, making it harder to weed.

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Something else to keep in mind with vinyl,   don't cut up a bunch of decals ahead,  only cut what you can weed soon, as the cuts will actually self heal themselves,  then you will have a lot of problems,,   

I didn't know about this, I was going to cut 30+ at a time, you saved me a lot of trouble now!

51 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

While that design is not the easiest, it shouldn't be too hard and with the amount of trouble you're having I would suspect you don't have your blade depth, and/or pressure set exact enough.

Going back and adding in some cut lines could help a great deal as well. A cut line where the steam of the leaves would be would help quite a bit I think.

You are right, I have played with the blade depth, pressure settings and how close the bladeholder is to the vinyl. Ive been getting much better results, but Im still not satisfied. I have come to the conclusion that A: it is either blade depth / pressure / bladeholder, or B:  it is A combined with the fact that my cutter cant cut better than this.

Do a search on here about setting blade depth, tons of post about how to do it. Read through those and get the blade set right. If your blade was too far out you may have damaged the tip and are not getting a clean of a cut as you should so you might try putting a new blade in and go through the depth setting procedure again.

I have a low end machine and getting the blade set right makes all the difference in the world.

Check your speed, blade offset and overcut. The corners of the border are rounded and should be straight. 

I managed to almost fix my problem but ran into another one along the way. This is a very weird. I dont think anyone knows how to fix it but it definitely deserves a new thread so I made another one.