Primal Decals

Vinyl Adhesive removal Problem ?

Sorry no photo to show. It wouldnt show up good enough to see it.........I have never had a issue with removing vinyl and the adhesive to apply a new decal until yesterday... I removed the old lettering no problem.Went to remove adhesive and it would not come off,no matter what i tried and then i took a closer look and realized it was like baked into the paint or looked like it. I tried taking pics but you cant see it in a photo. the customer even took it upon himself  to try tar and bug remover and brake cleaner lol.Rubbing alcohol etc. Even tried the rubber wheel for removing decals and still didn't touch it..

But it really looked like it was etched or baked into the paint. The customer was confused as well cause he had experience with decals .Went ahead and installed what i made  and it covered it pretty good where some lettering was but not where there wasn't letters.   Any ideas on why this happened with the adhesive and paint? He did say that it was repainted at a shop 6 months or a year ago and they put the decal lettering on it right after paint was on. That was my first thought after he mentioned it . In the end he was very happy with it luckily.Even gave me a tip..

Could be somehow affected the paint like you say. Could you feel it with your finger? Did you try any adhesive remover? I sometimes use the stuff pictured below. Aircraft Adhesive remover. Interestingly enough not to be used on actual aircraft. Go figure. Another option I have done is use some med or heavy cutting compound and buff it. BE CAREFUL with that stuff. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 6.58.24 PM.png

@Wildgoose i could feel it a little,it was like it was partially clear coated over the adhesive ... The customer did take it upon himself to also try a cutting compound with a buffing wheel.Still didnt touch it lol.. And i would rather not take a gamble on using something that might destroy a customers paint etc.Even tho i have a nice hefty insurance policy to protect everything i touch in case of accident damage etc ( 1 million Dollar coverage) lol...

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 6:31 PM, Primal Decals said:

He did say that it was repainted at a shop 6 months or a year ago and they put the decal lettering on it right after paint was on.

That's what happened. I work in a body shop and even small 1/16th vinyl pinstripes do that on fresh paint. We usually wait a month before applying larger graphics.

2 hours ago, jmas said:

That's what happened. I work in a body shop and even small 1/16th vinyl pinstripes do that on fresh paint. We usually wait a month before applying larger graphics.

Wow good to know