Keystone Kustom Decals

My largest multi layer piece

ok this was my largest multi layer vinyl piece so far. it was by now means easy. i used 3 registration squares on top to line up the layers. this piece came to be about 36"x18"

does anyone have any tips for layering larger pieces?

i also have never installed and large pieces like this, any advice for installation??

any and all help is appreciated!!

18516269_10211778562234062_1957621199_n.jpg

• Like 2

What i did was i built a design table that is 24" tall by roughly 7 feet long and it has 3 LED Panels in it that i can light up each one by choice.So it allows me to align up each layer and make pencil marks for when i layer it on a vehicle or sign, Or it allows me to layer them on the table and install as one at the job site etc.. Here is my table ..I dont use registration marks ....If i do a store front with glass, i use a dual shop light like from Harbor freight that lights up the glass from behind or front that illuminates all the layers of the vinyl and then apply with zero issues.. here is my table i made from scratch.. works perfect.. remote control LED panels.

• Like 1

You can also make it a book hinge with the 2 designs ,Align them up on the truck and tape the top design up and install the lower and then install the upper if you understand what i mean...Saying it and doing it are easier said then done until its shown to you lol.

• Like 1

Here is a great place to start with some schoolin'

As far as application, some sort of hinge is always a good idea. Top, Bottom, Side or Middle (book). When possible I top or bottom hinge the large stuff and then cut it into smaller pieces if the design is open enough to allow. I did a 14ft long string of text on an I-beam 12ft off the ground 3 letters at a time and just worked along with a ladder. Had no helpers available but got it done. If it's tight registration on multi-layers you are best to layer it in the shop prior to install just because you have more control and a flat surface. You will get a few bubbles probably but they can be dealt with. If it's a flat install and good contrast between layers I often layer it on the job. 

• Like 2

I've had decent luck taping the bottom layer down firm, and then doing what I would call a light wet install.  Using as little fluid as needed it gives me just enough release to get them lined up just the way I want it.  Squeegee it spray the transfer tape down, and then peel off the transfer tape and move on to the next layer.  I'm using Oracal 651 and greenstar medium tack transfer tape.  Once I do the final layer, I go ahead and peel the transfer tape one last time, let the decal sit for an hour or so to dry out nicely and then remask it.  Some guys might raise an eyebrow to this method but its worked very well so far. 

You peel the transfer tape off with the vinyl still on the backing paper? How do you do that with out pulling the vinyl up and making a total mess?

Typically one would start with the top layer and work down, never separating the vinyl from the application tape.

3 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

You peel the transfer tape off with the vinyl still on the backing paper? How do you do that with out pulling the vinyl up and making a total mess?

Typically one would start with the top layer and work down, never separating the vinyl from the application tape.

Yep I remove the transfer tape and essentially layer backwards.  Once I have it set, squeegee it out good, and spray down the transfer tape.  Pull transfer tape at a sharp angle and might have to help hold down the leading edge but after that it releases from the transfer tape pretty nicely. 

I've done it the other way as well using registration marks and starting at top layer.  I like the regular method for multi color logos where the vinyl isn't necessarily laying on top of another layer of vinyl, any my reverse method for when you have shadowed text etc.  

Seems like no matter how a person does it it's bound to cause grey hair.