livinloudgraphics

Vehicle graphics

When doing a windshield banner how do you all get measurements and marking of the curve of the windshield. I use a piece of vinyl with a small curve to it and go like that across. Is there a easier way to do something like this?

what i do for the top is run a straight edge from the 2 top corners and measure that distance up . Or take a sticky note and place it on the windshield on the top and take a straight on photo and then just trace it in ai etc.

Copy and pasted from another section from another member in the forum..

"

The way i measure the curve, and you could have a customer do this at home is to take a piece of string and lay it across the windshield from side to side. Measure down on each side an equal distance so the string is straight across the windshield, then tapes the ends of the string in place. Then measure the distance down from the top of the windshield in the center to the string. Then measure the side to side  width of the glass at roughly the bottom of where the graphic will be. Example would be Measure down 12" from the corners and tape string. Measure down at the center, say it's 8.5" subtract this from your 12" side measurement and you get 3.5" Measure your width, say it's 51".

Then in your software created a box that is the width of your windshield (51") by the height you want the graphic to be. Next go to whatever your software's version of Distortion or Warp may be and distort the center of the box down 3.5". Save this as a template and you now have  something to design your graphics for that vehicle on. You can import that template into your program later to design over the top of it.

The numbers i gave are rather dramatic, most will be within 1-2" of drop int eh center, but you get the idea. Just make sure you leave enough around the top and sides for trimming."

OK  I like the answers i have got so far but say Primal Decals said in the first go around it that. I cut a "rainbow" type piece and use that as how the curve goes but im looking something more technical maybe im not sure. when you get the the curve of the windshield because so many are different. A customer wanted a logo but i knew first off it wasnt gonna be straight on so i had to curve it a little so i thought about making a curved "eyebrow" as some say and keep using that over and over but didnt know if there was another way to get the curves without having to do all of this

• Like 1

Best to take physical measurements if it's gotta be just right. If you take a straight piece of paper (like butcher paper) and lay it across the window you can make marks (or trace the whole edge) and then measure the exact amount of droop for the middle.  Most time you are dealing with a compound curve. 

• Like 1

Every windshield is going to be different on the curve,Some will be 1 inch to 2 inch to 3 inch etc. Best to do what wildgoose said is as good also... Physical measurements are going to be the best route till you start building up a file on the different models etc.