Otown

Titan 3 Blade Holder Down Pressure

First time on the forum, hope I am doing this right. I have noticed something peculiar with my blade holder on my 24" Titan 3. It appears that the blade holder is wearing ever so slightly on one side at the tip. I expect wear on the blade holder as I am sure it does come in contact with the vinyl. Over time, this leads to light "drag marks" on the vinyl (Oracal 651). I am some what of a newbie at this as I am self taught, but I don't feel that I am over pressuring the holder (down force set @ 90g), but maybe I am. I would think that the wear would be even if it was over pressured. Anyone else experience this issue? My machine is probably reaching about a year old, and I have replaced the blade holder one time and am into 2 months of use now and have noticed this taking place again. I usually just rotate the holder to a different position when I change blades, but am somewhat convinced this is not common. I regularly change blades (approximately 3-5 months depending on use). All components are USCutter brand and purchased through them. Any thoughts?

I am not exactly sure whats going one but you should really never have to replace your blade holder under normal circumstances.  Plus, a blade on 651 should last quite a bit longer as well I would think.

I might try a smidge more blade to keep the holder off the vinyl and with that a little less pressure?

I have never had that problem so that is just a guess.  Something to try maybe until someone else comes along to help you out.

I will try both of these suggestions. Probably one change at a time to isolate one or the other. Thanks!

On 5/5/2017 at 11:43 PM, xpaperman said:

I am not exactly sure whats going one but you should really never have to replace your blade holder under normal circumstances.  Plus, a blade on 651 should last quite a bit longer as well I would think.

I might try a smidge more blade to keep the holder off the vinyl and with that a little less pressure?

I have never had that problem so that is just a guess.  Something to try maybe until someone else comes along to help you out.

What Xpaperman said is correct.

- I have a Titan II running the same holder it came with it's almost three years old and it's cut 1000's of yards of vinyl. 

• Like 1

I had issues with the blade holder coming into contact when I set it up per skeeters instructions.  Why?  Well, the vinyl wasn’t laying flat sometimes.  I adjusted the blade out a bit further than normal and adjusted the pressure accordingly.  Proper installation of the vinyl eliminates any slack that gear pushed to the left side, resulting in a slight wave (my Reflective I have to use a third roller on 15” pieces and wider).  All I cut is reflective and chrome so when the blade holder drags it scratches the vinyl pretty good 

1 hour ago, MrJoel said:

I had issues with the blade holder coming into contact when I set it up per skeeters instructions.  Why?  Well, the vinyl wasn’t laying flat sometimes.  I adjusted the blade out a bit further than normal and adjusted the pressure accordingly.  Proper installation of the vinyl eliminates any slack that gear pushed to the left side, resulting in a slight wave (my Reflective I have to use a third roller on 15” pieces and wider).  All I cut is reflective and chrome so when the blade holder drags it scratches the vinyl pretty good 

Isn't the vacuum hold down enough to keep the vinyl  flat?  Or because it is on a table top and the vinyl isn't being pulled down like on a roll. ?

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Isn't the vacuum hold down enough to keep the vinyl  flat?  Or because it is on a table top and the vinyl isn't being pulled down like on a roll. ?

I’m currently using a Laserpoint 2...no vacuum hold down on that one

34 minutes ago, MrJoel said:

I’m currently using a Laserpoint 2...no vacuum hold down on that one

Ok,  but your replying to a Titan 3 thread. from May... A Titan 3 does have vacuum hold down.     Thought maybe you got your Titan and was having problems.:huh: