amaterasu

Having a real hard time installing on glass

I use oracal 651 and use soap, water + alcohol as my application fluid. I have no problem installing on cars or other metal, aluminium etc surfaces. But installing on windows is hell. It won't dry, I usually have to wait 24-48 hours for it to dry. Sometimes it dries within an hour or so but not completely. If I try to remove the masking tape parts of it will come of with 0 problem but it will pull some parts of the graphic creating millions of bubbles, ruining everything. Should I change from 651 to something better? 

I would switch to SPLASH or Rapidtac for app fluid, I was using the homemade and had issues same as you. Switched to SPLASH from USCutter and no issues since...knock on wood

And 751 is cast and longer life span too instead of 651

why? it's not the vinyl's fault.. Like you said, it won't dry...I would not put my reputation on soap, water, and alcohol...Use a professional product made for the job.  Rapid Tac and other brands are made for what you are doing. Surely they sell them there.  And I hope your using paper application tape.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, security802 said:

I would switch to SPLASH or Rapidtac for app fluid, I was using the homemade and had issues same as you. Switched to SPLASH from USCutter and no issues since...knock on wood

14 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

why? it's not the vinyl's fault.. Like you said, it won't dry...I would not put my reputation on soap, water, and alcohol...Use a professional product made for the job.  Rapid Tac and other brands are made for what you are doing. Surely they sell them there.  And I hope your using paper application tape.

I was actually thinking about changing to 751, but they dont sell splash or rapid tac here, they sell something called right on. Pretty expensive stuff but I would gladly pay the money if it fixes my problem. Yes I am using paper application tape. 

Right-On sounds like what you need,  Starts bonding in 3 minutes. 

The perfect solution for fast and effortless application of self adhesive films without air bubbles and wrinkling. Right-On allows the film to be repositioned after initial application. It offers all the advantages of soap and water, but it works faster. Spray the substrate and adhesive layer of the film, apply the film and slide it effortlessly in to position. The film begins to bond after just 3 minutes and you can even start working it into channels immediately. Right-On Spray will not affect the adhesive layer. Suitable for use on all types of wet application film.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Right-On sounds like what you need,  Starts bonding in 3 minutes. 

The perfect solution for fast and effortless application of self adhesive films without air bubbles and wrinkling. Right-On allows the film to be repositioned after initial application. It offers all the advantages of soap and water, but it works faster. Spray the substrate and adhesive layer of the film, apply the film and slide it effortlessly in to position. The film begins to bond after just 3 minutes and you can even start working it into channels immediately. Right-On Spray will not affect the adhesive layer. Suitable for use on all types of wet application film.

spot on (pun intended) Thanks I will definitely buy a couple bottles. Its almost 30 USD for 1L though :( How much do you guys pay for rapid tac? 

Just now, amaterasu said:

spot on (pun intended) Thanks I will definitely buy a couple bottles. Its almost 30 USD for 1L though :( How much do you guys pay for rapid tac? 

Just looking on Ebay  to me  $15.98 (32 oz with sprayer),  but $10.49 shipping  So  $26.47  32 oz. 

Just found 1 cheaper, limited quantities  $20.98  Free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAPID-TAC-Application-fluid-for-Vinyl-Wraps-Decals-Stickers-32oz-Sprayer-/351621420328?hash=item51de451528:g:DUsAAOSwoBtW4xmS

16 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Just looking on Ebay  to me  $15.98 (32 oz with sprayer),  but $10.49 shipping  So  $26.47  32 oz. 

Just found 1 cheaper, limited quantities  $20.98  Free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAPID-TAC-Application-fluid-for-Vinyl-Wraps-Decals-Stickers-32oz-Sprayer-/351621420328?hash=item51de451528:g:DUsAAOSwoBtW4xmS

I have to pay 50 dollars incl shipping for right on. How long does it last though? Is it enough with 2-3 sprays on a.. lets say, 100x70 cm graphic?

Practice..There are many youtube videos out there for different products...What ever you choose,, you should have that figured in with your job cost...Vinyl. and all supplies,and your time for installing....How much money and time do you lose, recutting and reinstalling when something does not stick?  And you lose on your reputation, not being professional having to redo  jobs all the time...and not on time...

• Like 1

With some practice, you should be able to put a graphic that size on dry pretty easily.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Practice..There are many youtube videos out there for different products...What ever you choose,, you should have that figured in with your job cost...Vinyl. and all supplies,and your time for installing....How much money and time do you lose, recutting and reinstalling when something does not stick?  And you lose on your reputation, not being professional having to redo  jobs all the time...and not on time...

You are absolutely right, reputation means everything and I shouldnt risk ruining it to save money that is nothing next to what I could potentially make.

8 hours ago, darcshadow said:

With some practice, you should be able to put a graphic that size on dry pretty easily.

I Wish!!. I wouldn't be able to install a small 10x10 even if my life depended on it.

On 4.5.2017 at 0:05 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Here is a Rapid Tac Norway.   distributor,   So it says...

Sandnes Custom Service Ltd.
Jaerveien 151
4321 Sandnes
  NO

icon_telephone.gif 47 91113508
icon_fax.gif 47 40106525
icon_web.gif www.scs-norway.com

http://www.rapidtac.com/locator/results_details.php?id=397&dist=&showonly=INT

I checked their website, they dont sell rapid tac anymore <_< I found another company that sells something called Hexis Easypose Application fluid. Have you tried or heard about it? In the description it says: Reduces tak for wet application on glass. I know it sounds right, but I bought something similar from a different brand once. And it didn't work at all. It did reduce the tack but took the vinyl up to 2 days for it to dry and stick so Im very sceptical 

If you look at videos, they really squeegee the heck out it, to get the liquid out from under the decal...  Pretty much squeegee it til it's dry. They even spray the app tape a little til it releases..  Maybe you should practice more and watch more videos. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If you look at videos, they really squeegee the heck out it, to get the liquid out from under the decal...  Pretty much squeegee it til it's dry. 

I know but some products like the one i bought earlier are designed to reduce tack permanently so the vinyl peels off easier. Thats what the supplier told be when I complained about it taking too long to dry.

On Tue May 02 2017 at 5:46 PM, security802 said:

Or rapid tac 2 with 651

I have a horrible time with rapitac on glass. On metal its great but I have yet to get a successful install on glass with it. Im going to give rapidtac 2 a try

I honestly can't remember the last time I installed on glass wet!  is this for store front windows or car windshields?  the hardest part for new guys on windshields is bending the text to the curvature of the glass on kits that customers bring in that are designed straight.  Thinking back, we did have to do a glass install in colder temps with reflective (I know that's supposedly a big no-no but the initial tack was so strong and didn't allow for repositioning without bruising the reflective and was explained to the customer before hand)