jfteague

Nesting two colors of text

I'm working on our company's truck graphics and we want to nest two colors similar to a "stroke" effect in Illustrator. Can anyone help me accomplish this? I have been using Illustrator for all of our graphics and when I send the files to SignCut it only sends the base text and not the "stroke". I've attached an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it!!

post-441-12986512267126_thumb.jpg

post-441-12986512276951_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Illustrator.  My only suggestion would be to make sure you have everything selected when you export it from Illustrator.

Thanks for the reply Tater. I'm going to try Inkscape and see how it comes out. I'll keep everyone posted.

Well I downloaded Inkscape and tried to create a stroked font in it and open it in SignCut but it still doesn't work. Is there anything I need to do before sending it to SignCut?

Speaking of videos,how's that contest video comming Tater?

Thanks for the reply Tater! I printed out the steps and followed them closely but I must be missing something because when I opened the .eps file in SignCut it was just the outline and it was upside down and backwards. I checked on the side but there were no layers just the one. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about but does any of this ring a bell?

I didn't watch the video which may answer my question. Where's it located? In the thread you posted? I didn't see it.

Thanks again for your help. Sorry if I'm being a moron right now.

Ok, I think maybe whats happening is that you may be saving the document as a raster image instead of a vector file, and when you open it up in signcut, it vectorizes it...

When you save the vector image in inkscape, make sure you change the file extension to .eps,  make sure you change the dropdown box to eps file before you click save. and be sure the box in the next screen is checked where it says 'convert text to path'

now, upon opening the file in sign cut, the image is getting mirrored... Ill investigate this and get back to you in a few.

Also make sure you rename the file you are saving. I have found that after I change the file ext. to .eps that the name of the file still says .svg

I had to go and type in a new name like "test" then it saved the file as test.eps for my SignCut import folder.

You also may want to upgrade to the latest version of SignCut found in our download section of uscutter.com. It is under Drivers.

Ken

Tater and Ken,

I got it! Tater, I was doing what you were saying (I'm pretty sure) but I downloaded the current version of SignCut and it seemed to work with the existing file so I'm assuming that's what it was. Thanks for your help!!!

I'm off and cutting!