Sign in to follow this  
2psps

Items remaining it AI file after being deleted

Good Morning everyone,

I recently an MH-721 and have been using it with illustrator for artwork and cutting with Flexi. I'm using it to print some decals for our childrens soccer team. One of the issues that I ran into was cutting the small text in the logo. No big deal though we don't need the text. The text was deleted from the ai file. However when i select items near where the text was, the outline to the deleted text comes up but isn't visible. When I export it to Flexi the text shows up as it was never deleted. Anyway to save the AI file to only use whats visible on my screen? The outline isn't visible unless other items are clicked on.

Thank You.

So are you printing or cutting,?    you make reference to both... If cutting you could have different colors saved,in the .ai file.  So it will only cut 1 color. .See how many colors are on the file.   Even blacks can be different.  Sometimes when I save stuff in .ai it shows white as a color. 

And your cutting with which version of Flexi on which computer operating system?

Thanks for the reply.

im cutting vinyl (not printing sorry)on flexi10 using windows 7.

im using CS6 and I don't see anything in the save options about how many colors are being saved. The artwork itself is black and white but I'm not sure if it's saving white as a color.

Flexi 10, what  version?   Starter,? Letter,? Expert ?, Signpro?   Several different versions. It is shown on the computer screen icon,,as well as when it loads up to open.  Does it have the USB dongle/thumbdrive  like the green light to make it work, for the Flexi software, like this photo? 

FLEXI 10_DONGLE._1.jpg

You are getting confused about where the root problem is 2psps. I'll help you with the AI part in a sec. Skeeter is talking about a work-around in Flexi where you may be able to ignore the offending lines.

In AI the best way to see what the cutter will see is to go up to the top and click "View" and at the top you should see "Preview" Click this and change it to "Outlines" and it will show you all the lines that are within the project. You can edit things in this mode if needed but I usually just use it for a final look-over or when working on object that lay behind others and are hard to find.

Illustrator can be tricky with items that have no fill color assigned. If you are using the "Merge" function in the Pathfinder menu when welding objects rather than the "Unite" function AI thinks you want to preserve all the open areas like the insides of e's or other compound paths and it will create unfilled objects that hide in there and cause all sorts of cutting issues. If you find that you have these unfilled objects within a design you can remove them by finding one in the layers panel and selecting it and then use the Select>same>fill color and it will select all the unfilled objects in a design at once and you can just delete them.

If the file is small enough to post (and not a violation of any copyright infringement) you can upload the AI file and we'll take a gander at it and see what's giving you issues.