Blackjack2359

Why does this happen when in vectorizer?

So, still a newbie to this VinylMaster Cut program, but am learning more everyday. I pretty much have the process down and have been cutting vinyl without too much difficulty so far. But today, I have run into something I have only seen once before, but do not know what to do. Below are two screen shots. One after pressing trace, and one after pressing trace, but left clicking on the mouse (while holding the mouse on the image). Why does most of my image  (especially the black part) disappear when I press trace, but when I left click on the image, it comes back (as long as I am holding my mouse on the image that is).

I've been trying to figure this out all day, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

I don't use VM (SCALP for me) but is there somewhere (maybe where the drop down menu that currently says default) that says monochrome? Rather the colors that it's tracing in now?

I would post the questions concerning vinyslmaster in the vinylmaster section of the forum they are excellent at answering questions there.  In most peoples opinion on the forum except a couple vinylmaster is far preferable to scalp.  scalp is more of a crafter software

I don't use VM but perhaps the red X through the black box is the issue. You mentioned in your other post you vectored an image in inkscape then saved it off as a png, is that the case here? If so, as stated in the other post, just save the inkscape trace as an eps and import that into VM.

• Like 1

The red X through the black box is getting rid of the black background, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. The lower portion of the image is white, but I changed it to black so I can see it better. The colors really do not matter of the image as I will be using different color vinyl anyways when cutting. As far as saving the image as an eps, I tried that, but VM doesn't recognize eps files. I have no idea why not, but when I go to import the image, it doesn't see it.

What cutting software do you use darcshadow?

How do you have a black background behind the black hang glider guy.    

How about you throw up the picture you're trying to vector.  

The original image was white to begin with. I just added color to the wing portion. The background is black so I can see what I am doing while designing it. Below is the same image as the one you can see above in my previous post. When I go to vectorize it, it deletes the background automatically, because it will not be cut out on vinyl.

Hope this explains what is happening.

fenix trike 3.png

@Blackjack2359   Your question was answered on your other thread by Vinyl Master support.  You should be using FILE>IMPORT and import the .eps file that you created in inkscape.  Then send it to cut. Vinyl Master does import .eps files  You are using FILE>OPEN.   That is not correct. 

Thank you. Now I can see how it is supposed to work. Finally, but there still is an issue. I just imported my file, then went directly to cut. When I go and see all of the colors and how it is going to cut, it appears that it will be cutting out the entire image for each color I have, not just the separate layer parts. Is there anyway to not have that happen? Seems like a very big waste of vinyl.

You have a HELP at the top of the layout screen, with many,many HELP topics.and tutorials...I don't use the software,  but found it under color separate...It will  cut by color. Do some searching in the HELP topics.. All that info is there to HELP you.  And yes you will use extra vinyl layering..You figure it in with the price. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You have a HELP at the top of the layout screen, with many,many HELP topics.and tutorials...I don't use the software,  but found it under color separate...It will  cut by color. Do some searching in the HELP topics.. All that info is there to HELP you.  And yes you will use extra vinyl layering..You figure it in with the price. 

I have read just about the entire HELP section. But with the VM Cut version, those color separate options are not available. In fact, if VM Cut was any more basic, it wouldn't work at all. What are you using MZ SKEETER? I have been able to download a few demo versions of cutting software, minus Flexi (just can't locate a trial or demo version anywhere). I do realize that I need to spend actual money to get what I need to get done, but there are so many options available, it's difficult to decide. Everyone has their preference. This I know. Figuring that out is the hard part.

Edited by Blackjack2359
working change

I use Flexistarter 8.6 as my cutting software, and it will cut by color.  It is a basic bare bones cutting software.  I also have Flexidesigner10 as a design software...

A lot of people still like the FREE Signblazer software....You might want to try it..It has a ton more features. But it is old and has not been updated for many years..

Awesome, thanks a bunch. I'll give Signblazer a look see. Wish I could demo Flexi (any version). I have watched a couple of videos and it looks nice.

I am watching a youtube video on VinylMaster CUT  and it does have SEPARATE by color.  when you go to cut.   That Vinyl Master Cut software has more features than Flexistarter.

Your questions are all related to Vinyl Master,Cut . Your questions should be posted in the Vinyl Master section, so that Vinyl Master "support" can answer them, instead of having to run them down all over the forum....Vinyl Master comes on here to answer questions and problems...  You post questions as a member, you post questions as a guest...Your all over the place...And so are your questions. 

11 minutes ago, Blackjack2359 said:

I just thought since this section covered vectorizing, someone could help. I understand. Thanks for your help.

when it relates to vectorizing in a particular program it is better to ask , in this case, in that section of the forum as vinylmaster has been exceptional at answering questions in their own area of our forum and don't search the entire forum reading every post on all sections like many of our old timers do.   vinylmaster answers questions here and in many other places on the web including their own support lines so they only look in that one area most of the time.   hope this makes it easier for you to get the help you are looking for.
in this section many times generalized questions will be answered and have seen many times where old timers will teach people how to do it manually and not try to auto trace.  much more complex and time consuming but very accurate.  many newbies are looking for a quick fix and don't want to spend hours learning how to do the manual tracing accurately

Dadotagrafx, I agree 100%. I have been reading, trying, watching, trying, and asking and trying. I don't want a quick fix. I want to learn how to do this, correctly and accurately. I appreciate everyone's help, or at least trying to help. I understand how it can be difficult and frustrating to assist others in forum environments.

if you really want to become a pro at creating your own vector artwork AI and corel are hard to beat- hard to learn but hard to beat - that is why they sell tutorials and have college classes on the subject

vinylmaster cut is pretty basic software to get you going but doesn't have all the tools of the bigger programs- but then again it is a lot cheaper to get you going with

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, Blackjack2359 said:

The red X through the black box is getting rid of the black background, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. The lower portion of the image is white, but I changed it to black so I can see it better. The colors really do not matter of the image as I will be using different color vinyl anyways when cutting. As far as saving the image as an eps, I tried that, but VM doesn't recognize eps files. I have no idea why not, but when I go to import the image, it doesn't see it.

What cutting software do you use darcshadow?

I actually use Inkscape to cut. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner as it is pretty basic and requires you to have a pretty good idea of how the system works. The main reason I use it rather than Signblazer is signblazer does not have an overcut option and the Inkscape feature does.

As for your cutting issue with it cutting the entire design for each color, that's due to how you vectored it in Inkscape. When you vector using color in Inkscape, it layers scans of each color over, with the color on top the hiding the other colors. If you uncheck the "Stack scans" option it will separate out the colors. However this will also leave a gap between colors and generally results in a pretty crappy trace. The other option is once your trace is done to manually edit the image and subtract the layers in order to get only what you want shown in each color. This can be rather tedious and involves duplicating some layers then subtracting them from others. It is different for each image so the only advice is to play with Inkscape and get to understand the various tools under the Path menu.

• Like 2

I have and like Inkscape. I didn't know you can cit with it as well. I used to be very good with Photoshop (back in the day), but of course that isn't helping me now. I'll take a closer look at Inkscape and give it a try to cut.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it.

Dakotagrfx, 

Right now, all I'm doing is customizing (personalizing) some basic images with color and cutting them out. I'm having trouble deciding which design/cutting or designing and cutting software to start with.

VM Cut isn't cutting it (hahaha). Way too basic. Heck, if it were any more basic, it wouldn't work at all.

Then your kinda limited on cutting software....Flexistarter is even less than Vinyl Master Cut,,,but it great cutting software,  I have used it since 2006..  Signcutpro is cutting software only... You need design software with it. 

When you buy a cutter they only give you a basic software to get you going...But you can upgrade later for a price...There are more versions of Vinyl Master as well as Flexi products. ...Even the higher end cutters only give you a basic software to get you going.