wrecklessranch

Why is text so difficult??

I am trying to make a decal using this text:

http://www.fonts2u.com/ncaa-tcu-horned-frogs.font

I have tried saving it every which way in illustrator and it either says "nothing to cut" or the one single letter drops down to the next line.  

I fully recognize that I'm a complete amateur but why on earth is something seemingly so simple turn into such a giant pain???

It does that on mine too... And it works fine in illustrator but when I save it as an EPS file and open it in VinylMaster one of the letters drops down to the next line.  

The font is an OTF font, I don't know Vinyl Master, does it support OTFs? I suspect it does not and that is why it doesn't show up in the lists of fonts. If that is the case then as Skeeter suggested you'll want to convert it to curves before trying to open it with Vinyl Master.

Wreckless, IF you run into this again, in AI after you have the text like you want it. Go to Type>create outlines or use the quick keys Shirt+Ctrl+o (Comm+Shift+o on mac) to create outlines from the font. Bear in mind that within AI that will render the text an object and it will no longer be editable as text so be sure you have it all spelled correctly. Additionally if you have applied an effect like one of the many warps from the effect pallet then you often have to expand again under the Expand Apperance in the object menu. Just to further confound the hapless you can also create outlines of text using the Expand function instead of the Create Outlines. AI tends to have multiple ways to get from point A to point B, some yield slightly different results. It's a vast program with lots of learning involved.

• Like 2