Sign in to follow this  
Modtour4

Vinyl lifting while cutting

I have been asked to do a small sign for an upcoming wedding. I am using Oracal 651, Roland 24GX, 60 degree cutter, slowed the cutting speed down to about 5mm and I'm still getting letter lift off.

Anyone have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Russ

IMG_1378.JPG

6 minutes ago, bikemike said:

My guess would be to much blade sticking out.

Mike,

I adjusted the blade so when I do a test print, you can just see the lines left by the blade.

I have tried everything I can think of but there are smarter people than me out there!

Russ

40 minutes ago, Modtour4 said:

Mike,

I adjusted the blade so when I do a test print, you can just see the lines left by the blade.

I have tried everything I can think of but there are smarter people than me out there!

Russ

This is the correct way to set your blade depth, 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

8 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

This is the correct way to set your blade depth, 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

Thanks,

I will try that!

Russ

I agree, too much blade exposure.

Also, I noticed that your offset is off, if you look at the letter "E"  in June, for example - the cut isn't very even and square.

What size is the smallest text you are trying to cut?? it might be possible that you are trying to cut too small for the machine...

yes-- the roland you mentioned should be able to handle that project with clean results-- also for fine detail you will find Cast vinyl -751-- cuts and weeds much nicer than 651.

while dialing in, practice on scrap with a few small square shapes, and Arial bold letters like TEST for offset. Be sure the cutting strip doesn't have gouges in it.

58 minutes ago, mb20music said:

I agree, too much blade exposure.

Also, I noticed that your offset is off, if you look at the letter "E"  in June, for example - the cut isn't very even and square.

What size is the smallest text you are trying to cut?? it might be possible that you are trying to cut too small for the machine...

Did as Skeeter suggested and cuts MUCH better!

How do I adjust the offset? Looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Russ

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Blade offset should be in your cutting software. 

Ok, thanks

Will check it out some more.

Again...thanks for all the help!

Russ

Now I know how to do it! I did change from a 45 to a 60 degree blade. Didn't know about changing the offset.

Thanks eveyone!

Russ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Also slow it way down on small stuff

Yea, I did. Down to like 5cm!

It was more too much blade, need to adjust offset, then try again.

Russ