darcshadow

Opening EPS or SVG

A local library has a laser engraver/cutter that I occasionally play around with and they have their computer setup with Coral Draw. I typically do my design at home using Inkscape and save it off as SVG and EPS. When I go to open either of the file types in Coral Draw the image usually comes in as desired but the page size is still the default size. Is there a trick I'm missing in either how I open the file or how I save the file to get Coral Draw to resize the page to what I had is set to?

If you import, say by dragging and dropping the file onto an open document in CorelDraw it will keep the documents page size.  If you instead open with CorelDraw, it should set page size to the opened item.   Both using the open with in the file system by right clicking or selecting File>Open in Draw opens with the page size set to the item. At least that is how it behaves here.

Import vs Open

Thanks, I did the file open thing but it defaulted to the 8.5x11 page size. I'll double check it again next time I go and make sure I didn't already have a document open.

Try scaling the SVG in Coreldraw manually to 133.3% SVG by itself is a web standard and doesn't really have any real world scale reference, it uses pixels per inch as a reference since it's a screen resolution. You can open the SVG in a text editor (notepad.exe) and examine it's structure. There may be some information inside that may be useful for you to figure out the scale that the file will render in, since you know the real expected size, you can begin to figure out a scale value to multiply by. Anyhow, the default resolutions of the authoring programs are different. 96ppi/90ppi/72ppi...

Try this scaling method and see if dimensions are similar if not exact. I am not sure if this will work exactly because the source information used a different program than Coreldraw.

Why not just change the page size in Corel to what you want before or after importing. With no objects selected, you should see the page size in the top left area. Just type in your new size there. Also you can click to change the orientation.

Or have I missed something?

Pixel, the problem is not the scale of the drawing, it's the drawing page was not set when opening the file, either EPS or SVG.

Jb, That's what I ended up doing, but since I didn't remember the exact size, it was not a standard size, I had to download and install a portable version of Inkscape onto my thumbdrive so I could open the original file and figure out what the page size was.