Sign in to follow this  
IaGraphics

maybe buying a used sp300v

Hey all,

Im looking at maybe buying a used sp300v and wanted to know if anyone knows about these printers or can give any information about buying a used machine.

Attached is the print head test, the guy wants 3300 and it has alot of new parts but the black head dosent look to good, the seller says it dosent affect the print quality.

what do you think is it worth it as a first printer?

Thanks

2017012595205602.jpg

every seller says that doesn't affect print quality and that is pure BS.  but replacing the black head will also clear up the deflections in the cyan test pattern too.  I sold my 300v about 1.5 years ago with prefect print pattern for $5500 - so depending on how worn the rest of the printer is sounds like a good deal = just replace the black/cyan head, 4 new dampers, 2 new wipers, new wiper scraper the guy probably didn't even know existed and new mist sponge and wiper sponge and should be good to print on.

as far as that test pattern I have never let work go out with test patterns that were worse than the cyan deflection  that one shows much less that black.   
make sure to get the versaworks cd with it and keep it printed every few days so you are not replacing heads all the time

Thanks for the info..

So you wouldn't recommend trying to print any work on it until the blacks and cyan heads replaced?  the guy said "it will work for you for a long time before you have to replace that head" and me being new to printers I almost believed him, well I wanted to believe him,  I need to make some decals for 10 Little league teams and I need something that could do that now, I was hoping I could get this and use it for awhile then buy a new head when I made some of my investment back..

I personally wouldn't any detail will look bad - that is why these guys normally print something busy like camo to hide the detail.  I am not saying there are not a lot of people doing what I would qualify as not acceptable work with ones like this but I have a conscious 

put yourself in his shoes - will you peddle it faster and for more money if you say you can use it this way or if you are truthful and say it should have the head replaced?    just follow the directions to a "T" when replacing a head - seen a few people blow $2500 boards not following each step carefully.  I have replaced several heads but have an electronics background and am very careful when I do it - this is my current pattern

P7260017b.jpg

this was  my next to last printer as I received it - head was in the trash the first night.   you will also hear from sellers that the solvent heads can be cleaned and will come back - BS on that one too - they never come back.   now if I have a couple of blocked nozzles I replace a head but I also do fine detail and many designs with fine black lines that would look terrible otherwise if I tried to skimp

sp300.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

this was  my next to last printer as I received it - head was in the trash the first night.   you will also hear from sellers that the solvent heads can be cleaned and will come back - BS on that one too - they never come back.   now if I have a couple of blocked nozzles I replace a head but I also do fine detail and many designs with fine black lines that would look terrible otherwise if I tried to skimp

fave $5500 for that one 4 years ago and was a steal then - but after puting about $1000 into it with the above mentioned parts along with an encoder strip and encoder sensor it was good to go.

the black will always clog fastest when not used enough - learned my lesson early on as I did not have the volume of business to keep it printing enough and replaced more heads from non use than anything else and back then they were $1000K and not $700 per head.  I always have spare head, dampers, wipers, etc as down time can cause more problems than if you jump right on it

sp300.jpg

Thanks for all the info, yes I agree I wouldn't want to start out printing and put out bad quality the first time around, I do have a electronics background spent the last 10yrs working on computers, so I could probably replace the head..

Your print test puts about everyones Ive seen to shame. good job..

• Like 1

the ones that blow the boards usually cut the sub power and don't cut all the power - - - 

too many people putting out sub par work or using the wrong equipment and ruining their reputation  - - -  integrity, either you have it or you don't

• Like 1

You can get a brand new head for $700.00

So for $4100.00 you`ll have a like new machine.

mark-s

Roland should have it for free download.

I got a paper manual original form the shop I bought it from

mark-s

Cool I will check that out, the only thing that concerns me with this printer is the guys had to replace alot of parts and the first time I went to see it he couldn't print because the bearings or bearing blocks where out, so Im just leary about what else could go out if I bought it..

heres what hes replaced-->  new ribbon cable, new scan motor, and new caps replaced. new bearing blocks for both carriages.

Thanks

sure sounds like an abused or worn out machine - 3 printers and I have never had to replace scan motor, or any bearing blocks - nor ribbon cable.    maybe he bought it cheap and is just getting it working enough to sell so he can buy a good machine :/

2 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

sure sounds like an abused or worn out machine - 3 printers and I have never had to replace scan motor, or any bearing blocks - nor ribbon cable.    maybe he bought it cheap and is just getting it working enough to sell so he can buy a good machine :/

Thats what I was thinking the thing sounds like its been used alot..he says hes had it for 3.5yrs so Im sure hes used it..

2 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Very true the thing sounds like its been out thru the ringer, I did find an Epson GS6000 thats in excellent condition for less, it has the Triangle ink system upgrade,  the only problem is its a little bigger than what I need or have space for but I might make it work, 

With that many replaced parts, I would pass on that one.

Throwing good money after bad kinda thing.

mark-s

• Like 1

I agree 

14 minutes ago, mark-s said:

With that many replaced parts, I would pass on that one.

Throwing good money after bad kinda thing.

mark-s

I agree...

Did you find this on Craigslist. I just saw one in Kentucky I think in Lexington. I agree past on it.