ARi

Vector

Was wondering how would you make/design a vector for a object 

i.e. I have a car part that I want to make a vinyl cut to exact size 

what would be the best way to do this 

Take a photo of the part from as straight on as possible, import that image into your design software of choice and overlay your design on it.

• Like 2

The photo method mentioned above is a good starting point but unless

the intended surface is flat, cannot account for the simple or compound

curves that may be present. There is most often, still a need for Trial & Error to

precut vinyl to 'Exact-ness'.

• Like 1

Managed to design the image but when I cut the design via sign cut the edges are not sharp and are rounded off

I have triple checked and also uses straight lines to joint the edges and they are straight on the design until they have been cut 

is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a problem on sign cut ????

Can you post a photo of the results, and a copy of the file used to cut?

• Like 1

Also, What Plotter & Software are you using and what size are you cutting the graphic?

Rounded corners can show up on small items, particularly when produced with Low-end

Cutters/Software and/or at High Speeds.

ARi you might upload your file and we can take a look and see if there is anything going on with it. SignCut is a good program but is only as good as the design sent to it. I would bet you have some cutter setup issues giving you trouble unless you have been up and running for a while already without incident. Most new users get the initial setting off and then have all sorts of problems that get misinterpreted as a file or software concern.

I am using signcut

Wildgoose, the problem is it cuts some images perfect and others with slight defects

I have desgined this image so many times and it allways seems to have rounded edges when there clearly straight

It could be a set up issue as sometimes when I cut a regular circle, it doesnt cut full when it makes the full circle

But from my knowledge the set up is correct???

Thankyou for all the messages and I have attatched the file used

GTD Clean.svg

Your T was messed up for sure. Made with 3 separate lines that weren't joined and part of it (the top) doubled up. The D looked like it would cut ok but was not a true compound path. That may have been a result of file conversion though but I changed it either way. As they came through they all had stoke on the lines which will not translate to the cutter. Same concept there it could just be from the file conversion process coming over into AI that caused the stroke. Illustrator will do some weird things when interpreting files sometimes. The attached file is cleaned and should be cut ready. 

GTD Clean REV.svg

• Like 1

Thanks for your help wildgoose

But just like my previous attempts the image looks great on signcut and preview but cuts with funny edges and not clean and straight 

I now do believe the cutter/setup is faulty 

I am using a pixmax don't know if this is not a great cutter or setup is wrong 

would appreciate any help 

Once again many thanks to everyone and you wildgoose 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Did you cut that at the size of the file you posted? If so those letters should be almost 2" tall. Your corners are all rounded off which speaks of not enough Blade offset. However, if you have too much blade out it can do strange things as well. 

To set your blade depth, pull the blade holder off the machine and use a piece of scrap vinyl drag it across with SOME (not a lot not a little) pressure. The blade should be set to cut through the vinyl and into the paper carrier sheet but not cut through it. Once you have the blade set it will be barely sticking out and hard to see without some glint from light. This is the single most common error that new users mess up. It doesn't seem like it should matter but it does. 

Once your blade is set correctly you can make a test cut in the machine to be sure it is cutting through the vinyl. Pressure should be set a little low and brought up in small increments until it fully its through the vinyl and leaves a light scratch on the paper. You should not be able to feel the impression of the cut from the back side. 

Speed should be set low at first. I recommend 1/4 to 1/3 speed so if your machine speed settings go from 50 to 800 set about 200. 

If you have done all these things then you need to test for blade offset. If your machine has a test built in to do this use that. If it doesn't you can make a square about 1/2" and cut it. You should adjust your blade offset until the corners are nice and square. If they are rounded like you are seeing in the GTD you need to increase the number. If they have little tails then reduce the number. I usually increase until I start toes a tail then reduce it back to the optimum number. Good quality blades that last for 6 months to a year sometimes need an adjustment as they wear. 

Thanks for all the great information. I'm new to all this and once in awhile the simplest of things trips me up. . .how can you tell that the top of the "T" is doubled up and that part of it is made of 3 lines? I know I've seen this done before and even tried it out, but all my poking around in Inkscape doesn't seem to reveal the problems.

In InkScape, Ungroup (top red circle) the items, (twice, in this case) and you can select and separate

the "T" into 2 parts. If they were not lined up perfectly, you can often see the double paths

under close inspection.

Cliiurd01.jpg

• Like 3

Please see attached images of my blade

the test cut cuts the square perfect with straight edges 

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

Way WAY to much blade sticking out. MZ Skeeter has posted dozens of times the correct way to set the blade depth, do a search for it and follow her instructions.

• Like 1

Too much blade exposed,  You should just barely see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.  Try this

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  

• Like 2

thanks for the reply guys

so even though it is cutting the test square fine it can still cause problems cutting ?

Yes,  You only cut with the very tip of the blade.  You have way too much blade out of the blade holder.  It's less blade more force for good cuts. 

• Like 2

WOW!!!!

Just followed your instructions and the cut is completely different and a lot more accurate 

I cannot believe how a simple thing makes the biggest difference 

I cannot thank you all enough 

Thank you sooooo much everyone 

• Like 3

That actually is a MAIN thing.  setting the blade depth correctly.  You have to get that correct first, before you can set the force and blade offset correctly

Your welcome,  glad you got it.. :D

• Like 3

In the search of perfection 

I have realised the finish is still not 100%

The corners are not at the 90 degree angle they should be. I do believe since my other problem was setup this is the same as the file is good 

Any ideas 

IMG_4087.JPG

I cut the file posted above. First saved as an EPS- didnt make changes. then cut on my machine.

Here are the results- I think it may be your machine setup still.  Oracal 751 Vinyl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jburns said:

I cut the file posted above. First saved as an EPS- didnt make changes. then cut on my machine.

Here are the results- I think it may be your machine setup still.  Oracal 751 Vinyl.

The cutter can definitely be the issue especially if its a lower end cutter.