88x

Full length semi tractor decal install?? *Updated with pics of all 3 trucks 5-12*

I am wonder what would be the best way to install this orange stripe? I have the thought of using a Transit to get a level line down the entire rig. Starting at the front and just working my way back. I'm not sure if there is a better way. Does anyone have any experience installing something like this where there isn't a consistent body line to measure off of.

43808.jpeg

A construction style laser level?  - not my original idea - 

I'm thinking of using it to transfer the level line along the sleeper to the hood since there's nothing there to go off of

On really big weird things like this I usually look for a straight line, measure from it and put little pieces of tape to mark where the decal needs to go. It looks like the area I marked with a green line is all level in real life although it's not in the photo. I would measure up from the metal/body line, put little pieces of tape (green squares) about 1/8th of an inch from where the bottom of the decal needs to be and put the decal right above them.

truck.jpg

• Like 4

Oh yeah, here's another one I use sometimes. If you want to align the decal with a straight line and you have enough space on the vinyl, cut guides as part of the decal.

For example, add squares to the design and when you are doing the install, place the squares right above the straight line of the truck. Finish installing the decal then take off the squares.

truck2.jpg

• Like 6

Oh wow thats an amazing trick you just showed thanks a million for sharing that @jmas I will definitely be using the second method on this install!!

• Like 1

I made the install over the weekend. It went alot better then I thought thanks to the help I received here. Here are the pictures

IMG_20170415_212607179.jpg

IMG_20170415_212621184.jpg

IMG_20170415_222102099.jpg

• Like 10

I just received a call from the gentleman that owns the trucking company. He said he has 2 more trucks he wants done with the same design but with different colors!! 

• Like 3

Sounds like you are off & running!

Cal

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 10:55 AM, 88x said:

I just received a call from the gentleman that owns the trucking company. He said he has 2 more trucks he wants done with the same design but with different colors!! 

sending you a pm bud. Nice job for sure.

• Like 1

I did the install on the 2nd of the 3 trucks over the weekend. This truck is burnt orange metallic with a champagne metallic stripe and black pin stripe. Here are the pics 

IMG_20170507_010900015.jpg

IMG_20170507_011532943.jpg

IMG_20170507_011440297.jpg

IMG_20170507_011549427.jpg

• Like 4

Here's the final one of the trucks. This truck is bright red with flat black stripes and silver pinstripes.

IMG_20170512_115120489.jpg

IMG_20170512_115134505.jpg

• Like 3

These are all very sharp!  I would be a little too intimidated to attempt a large install like this right now...  need a bit more experience.  You do these dry or wet?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 9:42 AM, Koldnrg said:

These are all very sharp!  I would be a little too intimidated to attempt a large install like this right now...  need a bit more experience.  You do these dry or wet?

Yeah it was alittle intimidating but it's just like installing many smaller decals. The longest one was 78" long. I dry installed everything except the back half of the hood (I center hinged it) I tried to do it dry but with the overall length and having the air filter housing and running in to everything else, I couldn't get it to lay down without sticking to itself.